Background Noise

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
How do you guys record videos so as to prevent unwanted background noise?

Also, does anyone have trouble with their audio having a constant tone that seems that it is the microphone's fault? Is it possible to get a copyright strike over this type of background audio?

I hear some people saying to use Audacity for this. Would a better microphone reduce this weird noise?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: videoeditgr

Refresh

Reaction score
If you use audacity there is a nice tool called "Noise Reduction." This can be found under the "Effects" tab at the top.

All you have to do is let your microphone record for 10 seconds before you start speaking, select the area once finished recording where you are not speaking. Click "Noise Reduction" then "Get Sample."
Highlight your whole audio clip, click on "Noise Reduction" again and hit apply.

It should only take a few seconds to load and once that's done most of the annoying background sounds are removed! And it normally makes your voice sound much clearer.

Hope that helps! :)

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Like Refresh said, Audacity has Noise Reduction which is helpful to an extent, but it slightly degrades audio quality. I'd suggest getting a Rode Video Mic Pro. They're worth the money and the audio is amazing.

Reactions: darksmokeyt

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
What audio are you recording? If it's for commentary (ie your voice only), then you need a mic with a cardioid mode.

What is a cardioid microphone?
The most common unidirectional microphone is a cardioid microphone, so named because the sensitivity pattern is "heart-shaped", i.e. a cardioid. The cardioid family of microphones are commonly used as vocal or speech microphones, since they are good at rejecting sounds from other directions.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone#Unidirectional

Reactions: darksmokeyt

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Like Refresh said, Audacity has Noise Reduction which is helpful to an extent, but it slightly degrades audio quality. I'd suggest getting a Rode Video Mic Pro. They're worth the money and the audio is amazing.
Thanks! I've heard a lot about this microphone. Everyone makes it sound well worth the purchase!

Edit: No pun intended

Edit: I just installed Audacity and used the noise reduction feature. Needless to say, I'm thoroughly impressed!

Last edited:
Reactions: Refresh