Avoiding copyright strike w/ music

Johnny Nongamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

When using music for background, intro and outro, and avoiding the dreaded copyright strike/removal...what has been generally the best practice?
For example, could you use music generated through MIDI files? Cover versions (IE: a jazz cover of "MacArthur Park")? Looping a sample?
In other words...am I stuck with either using royalty free stuff of paying a fee to use stuff?

Thanks!

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
In other words...am I stuck with either using royalty free stuff of paying a fee to use stuff?
Yes. You're also free to check YouTube's music library and see if the song you want to use is listed. If it is, you'll likely be able to use it, but, in return, your video may not be available in all countries and it would be monetized in on their behalf.

Needless to say, if you don't own the rights (either by creating it yourself or purchasing the proper licenses), don't use it.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Technically using a cover still violates copyright, but I’ve used a lot of covers in the past.
There are several good sources for free/royalty free music that you can search for online.
You can also check AudioBlocks . Com which has a huge library of fairly good music for only a few $$ per year with unlimited use..
ThemeForest has even better music, but prices range from $5 - $30 per song.

Reactions: Johnny Nongamer

Johnny Nongamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Technically using a cover still violates copyright, but I’ve used a lot of covers in the past.
There are several good sources for free/royalty free music that you can search for online.
You can also check AudioBlocks . Com which has a huge library of fairly good music for only a few $$ per year with unlimited use..
ThemeForest has even better music, but prices range from $5 - $30 per song.

Thanks man! I will have to check those other sites out.

So what about creating a MIDI cover of a song? You know, something that can be sped up, slow down, altered to another key, so forth? Does that still get a copyright strike?

4Reason

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I usually go to the youtube music policies page to see if the song I want is copyrighted or not and then proceed from there. Unfortunately there is no way to work around copyrighted songs and it sucks for us creators

Reactions: JimG

JimG

Reaction score
So if the music track i want to use shows the following in Music Policies it's OK to use?:

If you use this song
Playback: Viewable worldwide
Advertising: Ads can appear

Copyright owners can change their policies or take action on your video that differs from what's described here.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
So if the music track i want to use shows the following in Music Policies it's OK to use?
Yes- so long as you have no issue with the music publisher placing ads on your video and taking all earnings and that you understand that they reserve the right to change their minds at any time without warning you.

JimG

Reaction score
Thanks. So do i have to declare somewhere that i'm using the track? Or does YouTube have some fancy algorithm that will just know.

Johnny Nongamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
With the Youtube Audio Library, some tracks require you to list information in the description box.

I would assume the same:

"Did you make this music yourself?"

"No? Well, give the artist their credit then. "

And so on.

...thats my best guess anyway.

(correct me if I'm wrong)