Average View Duration! (Youtube Statistic)

BloominPranks

Reaction score
Lets figure out some ways to get them higher so that people are watching our videos for longer.. Woo!

Mine stick around 40%, which means on avg people are watching 40% of my vid before they close it. What are yours like and why do you suspect they are so astonishingly high :smug: or so low :eek: ?

I only have 3 vids but my lowest quality video is around 43%, my next best video is around 41%, and my best video is at 40% for some reason.

I'm thinking to improve this I can probably cut out silence, reduce the total length, bang out higher quality video, etc.

(Just go into youtube under your video's stats and look on the far left and find the AUDIENCE RETENTION link under view reports.)

dylanmanincfanatic

If My Thought Dreams Could Be Seen...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Lets figure out some ways to get them higher so that people are watching our videos for longer.. Woo!

Mine stick around 40%, which means on avg people are watching 40% of my vid before they close it. What are yours like and why do you suspect they are so astonishingly high :smug: or so low :eek: ?

I only have 3 vids but my lowest quality video is around 43%, my next best video is around 41%, and my best video is at 40% for some reason.

I'm thinking to improve this I can probably cut out silence, reduce the total length, bang out higher quality video, etc.

(Just go into youtube under your video's stats and look on the far left and find the AUDIENCE RETENTION link under view reports.)

I'd say your plan sounds great, now just time to implement, GL!

NerdzSquared

Super Poster
Reaction score

Yeah mine is about 60%....
I watched a video the other day that said you have to make your first 10 seconds count. Ad those 10 seconds decide if the viewer will continue watching or not.

GamerKeebzy

A Wild Keebzy Appears!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Yeah mine is about 60%....
I watched a video the other day that said you have to make your first 10 seconds count. Ad those 10 seconds decide if the viewer will continue watching or not.
yea i heard the same thing, basically you want to have your best parts at the start of the video(to keep people watching) and at the end of the video(to make people want more), not so sure about the middle xD

NerdzSquared

Super Poster
Reaction score
yea i heard the same thing, basically you want to have your best parts at the start of the video(to keep people watching) and at the end of the video(to make people want more), not so sure about the middle xD
Yeah..:)
Kind of like a story line, except the climaxes are at the beginning and end. And the middle is rubbish:D
Naw just kidding...
I guess it also involves a lot of experimenting to see what people like and all

Reactions: TheKeebzyShow

AnnaLovesVlogging

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
My average view duration is 57%, which is an awesome increase from the last couple of months when it's been about 48%.

One thing I've changed is to get right to the point - videos where I'm like, "hey guys, it's been a while. I've been busy with moving and whatnot, but I'm hoping to get back to regular videos every week... okay, onto the topic!" have a shorter view duration than videos where I'm like, "hi Youtube, you know what really bothers me? This topic I'm about to talk about!"

Don't fill the first minute of your video with mindless chatter - get right to the point! If you want to update people about why you've been busy or something not relevant to the topic, put that towards the end or do a separate video. For example, in my newest video, I talked about why I didn't vote, and then did my endscreen, and THEN talked briefly about my new background. If I had started with talking about my background, non-regular viewers probably would have clicked away even if they were interested by the title, because for all they know, I would talk about my background for the first two mintues of the video and no one wants to sit through that!

BigT

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
the first 10-30 seconds are the most important to keep your audince watching your videos

BloominPranks

Reaction score
Thank you guys I'll implement these ideas. Making videos is hard work, two words: mall security. Lol, thumbs up for working hard

IsntChrisL

Easily Distracted
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I'm sitting at 41% for the last 30 days. I have a feeling my last two videos will boost my average up though. Nice videos, btw, OP. I shall subscribe!

Slingly

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Mine is VERY low.. Only 10% ... I think it may be because I'm doing gaming commentary, and so many people do that these days... I need some original content to keep viewers interested.