Audio mixing previously edited materials

Ayeemah

Reaction score
Hello and happy Christmas and New Year everybody!

I'm in the process of making my first Youtube video using FCPX and I'm in need of some guidance in relation to audio mixing.

All of the materials I've used in the video are from existing sources (HBO stand-up comedy event, super-brief film clips, epicdemicsound.com music tracks, NBC news clips, etc). So it's a mash-up video/essayistic type thing, not dissimilar in style to a lot of motivational videos you see on Youtube.

Because all of the audio I'm using has obviously been previously edited and exported, I'm not sure whether I should be putting a limiter on any of it. I've read that peak-limiting the main audio lane (e.g dialogue etc) is a good idea, but that limiting music and sfx should be avoided. Do you agree with this? Does this only apply to raw, unedited materials? At the moment, I have the main audio lane normalized to -1db, and I've set the limiter's output to -0.5db.

I'm also a bit concerned about the volume of music and sound effects in relation to the main sync/audio lane. I've heard Youtubers say you should have music 20db lower than the main sync, but this feels almost distractingly low on my headphones. I want the music/effects to have an impact without interfering with the clarity of the sync, and no matter how much I fiddle around with it, I'm unconvinced I'm achieving the quality of mix I'm aiming for.

Any recommendations you might have about making the most effective audio mix from existing materials would be massively appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

NateStanley

Editor / Creator
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
(not sure if this tool if offered in other programs, paid or otherwise - research it if you must... not sure)

If you have the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, put the material you're usings audio into Adobe Audition and use the channel extractor. Select the middle channel. That usually minimizes sfx and music and boosts voices.

Here's a tutorial that probably explains things better than I can.

This should give you a lot more freedom when it comes to mixing.