Audience Retention && A Monotone Voice??

StraightUpIrish

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I am trying to pinpoint exactly how to achieve a 100% audience retention in at least one video or even just above 90%. But the problem is I can't. Now I have done everything from upping the quality of my videos to the highest point I am able at the moment. Everything is spot on except I feel that the reason audience drops in my videos are happening are maybe because of my tone of voice. Maybe when people look at this you guys could just give some tips in general on how to sound confident and not be afraid of other people because I am even after 3 years of doing this. My parents seem to enjoy my content but say I don't sound happy when I am doing it. So is it really that big of a thing?And is it the icing I am missing from the cake?

Hazzador

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Honestly trying to chieve 90% audience retention is pretty impossible, especially as a small youtuber. The most i got was like 75%, I mean you only need a few people to click off the video after a few seconds and your average retention goes down. Aim for 60%+ instead

Reactions: StraightUpIrish

StraightUpIrish

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Honestly trying to chieve 90% audience retention is pretty impossible, especially as a small youtuber. The most i got was like 75%, I mean you only need a few people to click off the video after a few seconds and your average retention goes down. Aim for 60%+ instead
Seems like a better mindset to maybe have for the moment :) thanks for the input!

AdmUp

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have the same problem.. Watched a few of your videos and don't think it's as bad as you think it is.. Try setting a silent alarm on your phone in front of you for every 5 minutes.. if you're constantly talking it'll just keep you on your toes and remind you to stay chipper or whatever you want to come across as :)

TechSpotJosh

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Correct me if I'm mistaken but doesn't YouTube track if you happened to play your video and not finish watching it in your retention stats? At least that is what it seems like to me. I could be completely wrong with this though.

Grass Daddy

Reaction score
Retention stats are from years ago. Now YouTube only cares about "watch time" in minutes. Notice the analytics page is all about minutes?

The % viewed had a flaw. If someone watched 10 minutes of a 10 minute video, or 10 minutes of an hour long video, in the end the viewer was only on the site for 10 minutes. YouTube wants people sticking around. So if it means people watching 10 one minute videos or 1 ten minute video it doesn't matter to them.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think average watch time is around 30% - anything over that and you are on to a winner.
I also feel I have a monotone voice and do try to lift it but ultimately thats just how I speak.
Someone suggested I try ASMR. Perhaps you have a voice for that also?