Ask Me Anything About Video Production

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi all,
Back after a long hiatus to offer some advice and help to you all.
What I can help you with:
Anything video related, from editing, filming, scriptwriting all the way to general youtube advice, strategy, anything you can come up with.

My background (or why you should ask me stuff):
Bachelor of Arts in Film Production
Co-run a production company (2 years now)
Have worked in the YouTube MCN industry for 3 years
Have worked in film and media for over 6 years.

Shoot me your Qs :)

Ampix0

Web Design Tutorials
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Im trying to reuse assets across multiple After Effects projects but it doesnt seem there is any way to share a comp from one project to another. How do you use reusable assets?

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Im trying to reuse assets across multiple After Effects projects but it doesnt seem there is any way to share a comp from one project to another. How do you use reusable assets?
Special FX is the one area I'm not experience in, of course the first question would be about that haha. there's a good tutorial on Lynda on how to import a comp into another though, which should work!

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Cool! I went to school for media too and worked in tv a long time ago, but I'm new to YouTube. I'd actually love to pick the brain if someone who worked in an MCN. Especially I'd like to know if they promote all channels equally and how they go about that, how involved they actually get with each channel, and if a channel like mine is even worth the bother of joining one.

Nanonium

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Are you doing it for free or...?

Olroy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
AE projects are setup as folders basically, and inside they contain all the comps you've created. Simply drag your other AE file into your new project as you would with any other media and it will import all the comps and any related media automatically for you, from that point on wards simply double click the comp that contains the asset you wish to reuse, copy it, and paste it into your new comp!

Reactions: Ampix0

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Are you doing it for free or...?
Yea of course :)
My consultancy is only for large projects[DOUBLEPOST=1481169636,1481169547][/DOUBLEPOST]
Cool! I went to school for media too and worked in tv a long time ago, but I'm new to YouTube. I'd actually love to pick the brain if someone who worked in an MCN. Especially I'd like to know if they promote all channels equally and how they go about that, how involved they actually get with each channel, and if a channel like mine is even worth the bother of joining one.
Please do pick my brain! But basically the answer to your question is no, they don't promote all channels. It's simply not viable to dedicate the same amount of time to promoting every channel in the network. The only network I'd ever join if I were you would be a premium network, and even then... what did you do in TV? Sounds well neat :D[DOUBLEPOST=1481169679][/DOUBLEPOST]
What sorts of short films can you make without actors?
Documentary is a good one! So many subjects out there, start with simple things and slowly work your way up.

Rails2Revolution

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Got a few questions:
  • This isn't video production related, but working in an MCN, at what point did channels tend to be offered anything worthwhile as opposed to the usual MCN offerings that most channels find themselves being able to obtain themselves. Additionally what kinds of benefits are these that you give to larger channels? Or how do you guys usually work with them?
  • This may be a bit unspecific, but in terms of investing in gear and rigs, do you have any words that you wish you knew before you started buying your first sets of proper gear? May be a longshot of a question considering how many years ago you would have started.
  • When you say you co-run a production company can I assume you were involved when it was being created? If so, what were the first steps? How large was the initial investment? What problems did you run into? Very interested.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Yea of course :)
My consultancy is only for large projects[DOUBLEPOST=1481169636,1481169547][/DOUBLEPOST]
Please do pick my brain! But basically the answer to your question is no, they don't promote all channels. It's simply not viable to dedicate the same amount of time to promoting every channel in the network. The only network I'd ever join if I were you would be a premium network, and even then... what did you do in TV? Sounds well neat :D[DOUBLEPOST=1481169679][/DOUBLEPOST]
Documentary is a good one! So many subjects out there, start with simple things and slowly work your way up.
I did many things. Audio board, camera for sports. Editing, real editing linear head to head with 2 decks. I was a director of news for ABC and NBC affiliates and was also a consultant on Japanese tv shows too. Not all at the same time mind you aha