Are YouTube tags still around?

MikeSchimm

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Idk, I know Casey Niestat doesn't use tags and he's doing pretty well.

Column 1

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Dude. I made like 400+ more views than normal (500% increase) with the same type of content, just by optimizing tags (ie: using tags). Heck yeah they're still around, and take some time to make sure you use all the metadata you can, because it's your no-stop ticket to the #1 spot on the search.

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I still see tag videos from small youtubers and vloggers in the various groups I am in. I've also seen a video by Brian G. Johnson where he talks about the 'new youtuber tag' as a way of getting yourself out there, so apparently it must still be a thing and people actually do searches for that stuff.

To me though, it seems that this has somewhat left YouTube and crossed over to Facebook, just not in video form. But when you see those chain-mail posts where you are supposed to answer all the questions, and then encourage your friends to copy and paste your post as their own post and answer the questions also... well, that's the equivalent of a YouTube tag video, lol.

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Idk, I know Casey Niestat doesn't use tags and he's doing pretty well.
Ok for those who think tags are dead ...can you explain what happened to my channel?

For a year without good tags or video optimization i could generate just over 500 average views.
After i started doing optimization things changed...now I am receiving over 10,000 average views a month.
the highest traffic to my channel is coming at first from searches, but now suggested videos and searches second.

Those are all areas you get traffic from when you optimize your videos with the correct tags

MikeSchimm

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Ok for those who think tags are dead ...can you explain what happened to my channel?

For a year without good tags or video optimization i could generate just over 500 average views.
After i started doing optimization things changed...now I am receiving over 10,000 average views a month.
the highest traffic to my channel is coming at first from searches, but now suggested videos and searches second.

Those are all areas you get traffic from when you optimize your videos with the correct tags

I wasn't stating tags are dead, I was just saying that there have been people who succeeded on YouTube without using tags, but I do agree that tags are and will help you :)