Are you new to Youtube? How was your first year!?

Jared Poirier

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

Now that its the end of December I was wondering how creators who started in 2017 are doing.

Did you meet your goals? Did you do better than you thought? What were the challenges? What strategies did you guys utilize?

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I didn't start Youtube this year, but I did find my niche that I think I'll stick with this year. This was the best year for more channel, getting nearly 400 new subscribers.

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

Now that its the end of December I was wondering how creators who started in 2017 are doing.

Did you meet your goals? Did you do better than you thought? What were the challenges? What strategies did you guys utilize?
I started in June this year. It was really great. It was very spontaneous, hadn't given it much though. I wanted a place to share some of my dive videos, and it ended up taking a new life.
I started off with weekly uploads, but it became very exhausting, so now I do fortnightly uploads and getting into a good rhythm.
I wish I had used social media like instagram better. I started using it 3 months ago to promote my channel, and its been really good.
I still have yet to get a hang of twitter.

Originally it was pretty much gopro footage (the first 9 videos), eventually my sister leant me her canon dslr, and I started doing more commentaries and instructional videos. Its a constant learning curve.

My channel is based on a hobby, so it always takes second place. I'm just hoping I can do more freediving in 2018 and hoping the weather holds up over the Summer.

How bout you? what are you answers to your questions?

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
This year has learned me a lot about Youtube. I already had quite realistic expectations of it: It's time consuming, a lot of work, you won't always like it, growth will be slow, etc etc. But I have just been really surprised by my own growth, when I started I was hopefull of getting a 100 subs in a year, but I got there in 4 months. The fact that I can reach a 100 people with my videos is just awesome :) And people have been so positive about them too, especially people who aren't in the scene at all but where kind enough to let me film them and put them on Youtube (looking at you swordfighting club, you're awesome!).

The one thing I really dislike is people's negativity and how they look down on themselfs. On Twitter and on this forum, people often post 'I have 1500 subs, I know it's really small, but [enter something interesting]". Why say you're small, implying you're insignificant? It's a stab towards people smaller than you, who look up at your channel and think 'wow, I wish I was that big'. Just be proud of what you have acomplished!

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I started my channel two years ago, but this year I hit 3,000 subscribers in August and I’m on my way to 4,000, so think this year has been pretty good subscriber growth. I’ve been working really hard with editing videos and I guess work does really pay off!:)

The Matt Diaries

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I started my channel in September and it has been a steep learning curve. Initially I set a target of 100 subscribers by Christmas, which in hindsight was probably a bit over ambitious, coupled with the fact that I had a couple of setbacks with sticking to an upload schedule. Still, I have immensely enjoy it so far and have learned a lot from the last four months. looking forward to 2018.

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Started my channel in 2016 but didnt do much until 2017 that is when I really started to try to make it successful and put a lot of time & work into it..
I have not met my goal of 10k subscribers - just broke 3k ..
The biggest challenge is making videos that everyone enjoys...and getting more subscribers..

zhkopec

I've Got It
Reaction score
I had one video up last year, but started posting for real around July. My goal was to hit 225lb bench press and 1k subs for the year. Then I hit 1k in two-three months and wanted 2k. Didn't get that, but still got the 225lb bench press. :)

Reactions: The Matt Diaries

The Matt Diaries

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I had one video up last year, but started posting for real around July. My goal was to hit 225lb bench press and 1k subs for the year. Then I hit 1k in two-three months and wanted 2k. Didn't get that, but still got the 225lb bench press. :)
Well done [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk