Are We Looking At The End Of The YPP?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
As I predicted, 85-90% of new applicant channels to the YouTube Partner Programme are being rejected for membership and therefore for monetization. The numbers of channels now complaining that their monetization "has been disabled" has also risen drastically.

Allow me to clarify that statement. As many of the complainants are ESL (English As Second Language) speakers, one answering any thread which doesn't state a reason such as "Disabled for invalid traffic", must then ask if the OP is truly disabled, or merely has been placed in the review queue. Those who respond as under review, have had their monetization paused while they are reviewed as existing partner channels.

Of course, these poor creators haven't bothered to find out how YouTube actually works in most cases either; so they demand that their monetization be immediately reactivated, which is an impossibility before their reviews have been completed. The result of most of these secondary existing partner reviews to date, has been removal from the YPP, from what I've seen on the YouTube Support Community. Those removed then of course, proceed to ask if they will be "paid their earnings" from the prior month; thus proving that they didn't read past the statement that their channel was no longer monetizable and they would lose their partnership privileges with immediate effect.

The YPP removal, also stops AdSense finalization at the moment of removal, and denies further payment (and payouts) until and unless the channel is remonetized. The realization of this, will cause many to simply abandon their channels in place; as they came to YouTube to make money, and this has now been firmly denied to them: and they won't have the patience it takes to start over from scratch and build up to the review thresholds again.

The fault, lies with YouTube itself. Didn't the CEO only last June post a Creator's Blog absolutely touting the fact that YouTube was even at that point, working hard on new ways for creators to make YouTube profitable for the individual creator personally? Then not even half a year later, they adopt the AdSense Content Quality Guidelines which has just about killed off AdSense for Web Publishers, thus guaranteeing the same thing would happen to the YPP. Then to ice the cake, they decide to make sure all existing partners will be reviewed to ensure they are following these guidelines also.

My prediction is this: If the YouTube Partner Programme still exists at the end of the upcoming decade we will be very lucky. And if the YPP dies altogether, this will free the path for YouTube to end the posting of UCG (User-generated content) altogether as so many other platforms have done in the past.

It's my firm belief that YouTube wants to take the "You" away, so that it can become a completely commercial platform. It's also my firm belief that to do this, will spell the eventual end of the site itself.

Your opinions are invited and welcomed!

Addendum: I seem to be at least partially confirmed in my theories. Have a look at the thread below, and people's reaction to same. YouTube is also trying to move toward the "Commercial Platform" goal much too fast!

https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/3928187?hl=en

Last edited:

Alexander Hoff

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yep, looks like it... Everyday I see more and more people getting demonetized. Mostly for "reused content" or "repetitious content". Many of them are music channels. It's pretty sad.

One thing I'm wondering though is when channels are completely demonetized, do no ads at all show on the videos anymore? If that's the case... how exactly is youtube/google supposed to make money? No ads on videos = no money for anyone. Neither creators nor youtube. Or are ads still showing... but the creator is just getting nothing? I really hope that's not the case.

Reactions: Michael

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Well.. I don't qualify for monetisation yet and thought it was tough when the goalposts moved to 4000hrs and 1000 subs. I'm aware of some of the other factors making it harder to qualify also. But I have to say I support what they're doing. There are simply far too many non creators stealing footage, re-uploading others work or just churning out trash press packs /media packs.. computerised voices etc. No1 can be bothered to point a camera at something and make some narrative - too many want to contribute nothing but trash to Youtube and the tougher rules will reduce their motivation to do this. I think that's a great thing to allow genuine original creators more exposure.

Reactions: markkaz

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I hope it doesnt go that way but it does appear so. If YouTube ends up without user generated content though they will lose masses of viewers from their platform but maybe they are at a point where they dont care or it wouldnt matter if they did lose that, who knows, they are as transparent as a wooden door. Looking at the threshold to monetise I would speculate they want content created without paying people for as long as possible, I dont know any more sadly, really dont lol

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
As much as I'd like to not believe that this is really happening...but it is. To me you are absolutely right. A lot of channels are losing their monetization rights from "reused content" not meeting the requirements, etc.
I never qualified for any of those myself so it does not effect me for those at this time. But it is sad for a lot of creators who rely on Youtube for their primary source of income and for those who are or were so close to getting their themselves.

Maybe Youtube is only interested in big corporations now who have a large company pumping out channels on a daily basis now (WatchMojo, etc).
Only time will tell I'm afraid. Especially since we already know Youtube has no interest in the little guys.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yep, looks like it... Everyday I see more and more people getting demonetized. Mostly for "reused content" or "repetitious content". Many of them are music channels. It's pretty sad.

One thing I'm wondering though is when channels are completely demonetized, do no ads at all show on the videos anymore? If that's the case... how exactly is youtube/google supposed to make money? No ads on videos = no money for anyone. Neither creators nor youtube. Or are ads still showing... but the creator is just getting nothing? I really hope that's not the case.
Ads will only show in the Display Ad area at the top right of every YouTube page. and at the top of search, unless the videos on the demonetized channels have Content ID claims. When this occurs, frequently the copyright owner monetizes the video on his or her own behalf. I'm also seeing an upsurge in copyright claims mistakenly made by video posters who don't own the copyright to the media they posted, simply because their own video was stolen and reuploaded by another YouTuber.

When YouTube's Copyright and Legal Dept gets such a takedown request, the filing user is challenged to identify the exact work under sole ownership which has been infringed, or have their account terminated in 7 days. I saw no less than three incidents of this nature in the past two weeks.
Well.. I don't qualify for monetisation yet and thought it was tough when the goalposts moved to 4000hrs and 1000 subs. I'm aware of some of the other factors making it harder to qualify also. But I have to say I support what they're doing. There are simply far too many non creators stealing footage, re-uploading others work or just churning out trash press packs /media packs.. computerised voices etc. No1 can be bothered to point a camera at something and make some narrative - too many want to contribute nothing but trash to Youtube and the tougher rules will reduce their motivation to do this. I think that's a great thing to allow genuine original creators more exposure.
What about creators who use legally licensed stock media in their videos, who are also getting hit with demonetization for "reused content" simply because their workflow and video type doesn't lend itself to either self-filming or facecam? I am such a user myself; would you group me with the aforementioned "trash contributors", when reuse of content is a mainstream broadcast industry standard?

In fact are you calling the mainstream media industry itself purveyors of trash content, perhaps?

I need to tell you now, that channels similar to your own are also being rejected for YPP membership; so I hope the rules change before you reach the threshold, if indeed the YPP itself is still in existence by that time.

Last edited:

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
@UKHypnotist sorry yes i know there is a right way to use stock media. Many awesome documentaries etc that I like would be made up of such content. Just venting some frustration at the many disingenuous spam channels -Yours not included. I'm sure from your contributions to yttalk that you're a knowledgable genuine youtuber.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I can visualize YouTube moving to a more "Netflix-like" platform in the future where only paid and company-approved content is posted. :/ Hopefully by the time that happens some other platform would have opened up to allow regular folks post content and make a name for themselves... :eek:

Reactions: Farley Productions

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
daaang... maybe is just me but I'm having the time of my life! I guess it's cause I haven't had any problem so not sure how I should feel when that happens. YouTube email support actually helped me by enabling some features in my channel.

I guess I'll enjoy my bubble and hopefully it will not burst soon

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
daaang... maybe is just me but I'm having the time of my life! I guess it's cause I haven't had any problem so not sure how I should feel when that happens. YouTube email support actually helped me by enabling some features in my channel.

I guess I'll enjoy my bubble and hopefully it will not burst soon
I got the "copyright tool" finally too. But it doesn't inspire any confidence, as I know I will eventually come under existing channel review. So will you; we see if either of us survives...

OMG. GV, you need to change the game(s) you are playing, pronto! PubG Mobile doesn't allow commercial use of the game's content! If you were to come under review in the next 24 hours, you'd be kicked right out of the YPP for content policy violation. I just looked at your channel, and a lot of the gaming channels who are being refused or kicked out are playing either PubG, Fortnite, or Mobile Legends; none of which carry commercial use rights.

Check the EULA of every game you do videos after and look for these words: "for your personal, non-commercial use".

Last edited: