Are Variety Channels Sustainable?

Lasersgo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I would maybe suggest that whatever is getting the most views and driving subs to focus on that. As time goes on ask those subs maybe at the end of the video if they'd be interested in seeing different types of content on the channel.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I know the link isn't working. I've tried several times to get help with that, to no avail. The channel is called Serious Issues, if you wanna look it up.
Using "UCpIPVpMuaznW9eG_x35gwZQ" should fix your channel link.

Omeo

Reaction score
Using "UCpIPVpMuaznW9eG_x35gwZQ" should fix your channel link.
Nope. Still says "That channel does not exist". Also, that's not my username. How do we get it to display my username? Is that what happens when you get the address right?

OldNotDead

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know the link isn't working. I've tried several times to get help with that, to no avail. The channel is called Serious Issues, if you wanna look it up.

Good luck figuring out what to do. If you come up with a good solution, let ME know.
One here you have to go into setting and change you it to channel instead of user. I think the user is for when you give your channel a name. Hope this helps.

I will run a search for you.

Cheers,
Scott

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Nope. Still says "That channel does not exist". Also, that's not my username. How do we get it to display my username? Is that what happens when you get the address right?
Make sure to select "/channel/," and it should work. ^_^

Your "display name" on YouTube is different than your username. Youtube offers a simplified username when you reach a certain number of subscribers. When that happens, you can choose a "/c/" username. Until then, everyone's "YouTube username" is the auto-generated random letters part of the URL.

Reactions: Frisky Brisket

Frisky Brisket

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your "display name" on YouTube is different than your username. Youtube offers a simplified username when you reach a certain number of subscribers. When that happens, you can choose a "/c/" username. Until then, everyone's "YouTube username" is the auto-generated random letters part of the URL.
Hi KatyAdelson,

Thank you so much for explaining this. :).

I was also wondering how this works. So, would you happen to know the number of subscribers someone must reach so that they can create a cool simplified username like yours?

Thanks. :).

Last edited:

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
H K

Hi KatyAdelson,

Thank you so much for explaining this. :).

I was also wondering how this works. So, would you happen to know the number of subscribers someone must reach so that they can create a cool simplified username like yours?

Thanks. :).
The last I heard (about a year ago) the limit was at 100 subscribers. I'm not sure if it has changed since then... The limit has changed several times over the last 3 years. I think the highest the limit used to be was 500 subscribers in 2015.

Edit: I found the Google help page! lol! I should have looked for it first...
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2657968?hl=en

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
It is better to have them divided, in my case I am on the moves to a new channel making them 3 channels for the 3 type of videos i love making :)

Frisky Brisket

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The last I heard (about a year ago) the limit was at 100 subscribers. I'm not sure if it has changed since then... The limit has changed several times over the last 3 years. I think the highest the limit used to be was 500 subscribers in 2015.
Sweet! Thank you. :).

You know what's interesting? After I wrote my last post I did a google search for "Creating your own YouTube simplified usename". I clicked on a YouTube video from a cool dude who has done a lot to help me with my skillZ in CyberLink PowerDirector. The video covered creating a simplified username on a channel that he just created with no subscribers and no views. The video was from 2014. Apparently back in the day (2014) anyone could create a unique username. That, or the number of subscribers is based on your Google Account and not the brand account linked to the channel. I didn't see the link to change my username because the YouTube interface has changed quite a bit since 2014.

In either case I can't create the simplified name yet which makes me feel sadness. Oh well, I just have to keep grinding away and working on my channel.

Thanks my friend. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1505662550,1505661295][/DOUBLEPOST]
It is better to have them divided, in my case I am on the moves to a new channel making them 3 channels for the 3 type of videos i love making :)
My dude!

How do you even keep up with 3 channels? I can barely figure out what I'm doing with one? :).

Maybe it will be easier if my content is separated. VLOGS on one channel, and gaming on the second channel. I don't know. I guess all figure that all out. I've got some thinkin', plannin', and strategizing to do. :).

Reactions: KatyAdelson

Omeo

Reaction score
I would maybe suggest that whatever is getting the most views and driving subs to focus on that. As time goes on ask those subs maybe at the end of the video if they'd be interested in seeing different types of content on the channel.
The stuff that gets the most views is always the more casual, fun stuff I do, which may be an argument for creating a second channel, but I'm not sure it is.[DOUBLEPOST=1505710600,1505707273][/DOUBLEPOST]
Make sure to select "/channel/," and it should work. ^_^

Huzzahs! It works! Yaaay! Thank you! I've been trying to sort that out for AGES. Thank you, again. ^_^[DOUBLEPOST=1505710981][/DOUBLEPOST]I did a search for "Should you start a second channel" on YouTube and I
'Be only watched a couple of the videos it came up with, but so far, most of the people responding say a second channel is a last resort. They say you should separate your stuff into playlists and work on delivering the common thread. I think I can do that. I also recalled that one of the YpuTuve gurus I watch - Roberto Blake - has a successful variety channel, too, so it IS possible to go that route and succeed.

I'd still appreciate anyone else's thoughts on the subject, though, if anyone has anything else to say about it. Thanks, guys. ^_^

Reactions: KatyAdelson