Are Tags Worth The Effort?

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Might wanna amend the title to say "Are non-competitive tags worth the effort?"
No, that isn't my question either. My title is just fine - simply wasn't expecting people to respond without reading the post. Not sure whether to be surprised or amused at how this conversation is going. Have more than two of the people responding here mentioned how well their analytics (top search phrases bringing them traffic) reflect their tags?

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
No, that isn't my question either. My title is just fine - simply wasn't expecting people to respond without reading the post. Not sure whether to be surprised or amused at how this conversation is going. Have more than two of the people responding here mentioned how well their analytics (top search phrases bringing them traffic) reflect their tags?
I responded to you earlier in this thread talking about non-competitive tags and basic competitive tags. You said that's exactly what you're trying to talk about. Now you're not. Either your actual question is way too nuanced or you're just not conveying your message clearly.

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I responded to you earlier in this thread talking about non-competitive tags and basic competitive tags. You said that's exactly what you're trying to talk about. Now you're not. Either your actual question is way too nuanced or you're just not conveying your message clearly.
Are the search terms (in your analytics) that bring traffic to your videos the same/similar to your well-researched tags, is what I'm asking. Or are the tags ranked as "poor" by your tag tools, actually the terms that your viewers search to get to you? And my comment about people responding to the thread title, wasn't really directed at you, because you and I discussed this earlier.

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Are the search terms (in your analytics) that bring traffic to your videos the same/similar to your well-researched tags, is what I'm asking. Or are the tags ranked as "poor" by your tag tools, actually the terms that your viewers search to get to you? And my comment about people responding to the thread title, wasn't really directed at you, because you and I discussed this earlier.
I'm not suggesting that it was direct to me, I was trying to find a way for you to get more meaningful responses.

What search/tag tools are you referencing? The only research I personally do with tags is using YouTube's search bar and choosing the phrases that pop up when I type in a certain topic/word. The ones that pop up in analytics are usually the same as the ones I researched. On top of that, I use other search terms closely related to the heavy traffic keywords. In terms of which is successful, for sure the ones that are more basic but also dependent on the topic of the video. I have about 5 different tags based on the ketogenic diet on my top 10 search analytics but only have one ketogenic video. Knowing this, I do not emphasize too much on getting the tags 100% the best, but hitting the right topics.

Reactions: MedTerms

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's exactly what I was asking, except that you don't seem to use any specific tag tools/software, so you can't speak to those. You get the question.