Are shorter versions of an existing video on my channel allowed?

xagonyx

Reaction score
Good evening! I'm starting a new YouTube channel (I'm gonna monetize it in the future). I normally upload long videos (3-5 hours), but now I'm receiving requests to create shorter versions of those existing videos (anywhere between 15 to 30 minutes). Is it possible to do that? Or am I breaking YouTube rules?

TL, DR

I have a long video (3 Hours of looped music)
I want to upload a shorter version of that video (15 - 30 minutes)

Is that permitted on YouTube?

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Well, you could get hit with a duplication claim, but you could dispute that since you are reusing your own content. Given that you actually own the rights to that music? Because if you are looping music you do not own the rights off, you cannot monetize your channel.

Reactions: xagonyx

xagonyx

Reaction score
Hello! Thanks so much for answering!

Last edited:

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
You’ll get hit with a duplicate content claim. Not only from it being in your page, but because it’s audio one could find elsewhere (or similar) and you’re not adding to it visually.

Because of that, monetizing will be incredibly difficult (if not impossible). The videos you shared are likely listened to in the background without the person watching the screen...that means pop-up ads would be useless, video ads might be lacking meaning or context, and nobody will click either. Not things YouTube wants.

Reactions: xagonyx and Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I agree with @Shakycow - Doing that will get you a duplicate content strike. If people only want to listen to 30 minutes of a 5 hour video, they'll just stop at 30 minutes. No need to upload a 30 minute version of it. :)

Reactions: xagonyx