Are reaction channels a bad thing?

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That's like saying if I put "LOL" flashing across the screen on somebody else's video it constitutes transformative. Having some comments on somebody else's ENTIRE product does not constitute fair use.

Most reaction videos also would not even qualify as commentaries.
Actually commentary videos are largely-in-part fair use, though if they ever actually had to defend themselves in court questions would be raised as to how much of the original thing they used and how much it may take away from the original product.

But putting your head in the corner and saying 100 total words every 5 to 10 minutes? That is not fair use by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, I guess I missed the part about using the full thing. Then in that case it wouldn't be fair use. I was thinking we were talking about using snippets of something.

Ninja

Professional Funny Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Legally speaking Reaction videos are fair use. so it wouldn't constitute stealing.[DOUBLEPOST=1453434264,1453434205][/DOUBLEPOST]

It is fair use. If they are commenting on the original material that meets fair use. copyright . gov states this.
I wouldn't classify what they do as commenting, it's closer to having a jpeg of someones face surrounding someone else's content.

Shaun Joy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
To me, it comes down to an effort thing. Videos like Jinx p**s me off because not only is there a lack of reaction there at times, there's literally no commentary about the subject itself, or the material in question. In several cases, I could easily replace the video with a video of a tumbleweed, and there'd be no difference.

Good reaction videos, like h3h3productions, take the time to talk about the subject, don't just put the entire video on there, and actually take the time to edit it. They know their material, and know exactly what to talk about, bringing up interesting points, and still can be funny while doing it. I'm glad that jacksfilm called out Jinx for taking his video and doing that same thing to him, noting that it's dangerously close to freebooting. It's unfortunate that by the time a creator might notice, the damage has been done as most of the views come in the first few days a video is released. And Youtube isn't exactly helpful to creators when it comes to getting timely assistance.

It's the one case I would like to see a limit to Fair Use really challenged on. To really be specific about how trasnformative a work needs to be in order to really decide if it's defined under fair use. It's upsetting to see reaction videos getting more hits then the actual video that took time and a lot of passion to create.

Reactions: Lightsen

JB Clem

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There's so much misinformation about Reaction channels mainly due to Jinx getting 1 Million subscribers off doing them with low production value and not saying much or adding any content to the videos he's reacting to. But he also has his own original content, so he's not only just a "content thief".

But there are talented reactors who add their own personality to the content other than H3H3 Productions such as Tyrone Magnus, Akasan, The Reel Rejects, ImDontai, SwagFoulNation, Blind Wave, Chadtronic, Renegades React and many others who have also have original content other than reactions as well.

Most Reactors react to content that their viewers have already seen and request reactors to see the content, and see how their reaction is. As the more popular Reactions tend to have unique and fun personalities, which is why their channels grow faster than generic Reaction videos who have blank faces while watching a video

Third Party Companies love Reaction Videos to Movie and Game Trailers as it helps promote the film or video game as a test audience to see whether people like the content or not. Reaction Videos if done right are basically knee jerk reviews of the content in real time.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
i probably wouldn't care as much if they did not post the entire video. Hey, I bet you Jinx would be 100% more entertaining if he took the time to cut to the best parts of his reaction.
that would still leave much of the video for the audience to go and check out, it would actually BENEFIT the creator at least a little.

you wanna see the full video yourself? check the original.
sorted. i Have seen certain channels do this, and I dont mind them as much, especially if they really put the effort in with their reactions and effects (see chadtronic as a great example. Not a real review of sorts, but using clips and effects, so its clear that it is HIM you are watching for, not the video.)

KingdomSlayerNav

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys, are reaction channels a bad thing?
I can definitely see some reactors channels going down if someone decides to claim their videos...
Is it Okay to react to videos?
Leave your thoughts :)
I can't stand reaction channels at all
But I have to make exceptions
Like H3H3 and Lost Pause
But when it comes to Jinx and those other crap YTubers who just put their ugly a** faces with almost no expression in the corner, I just want to punch them in the face smh[DOUBLEPOST=1454694607,1454694530][/DOUBLEPOST]
I honestly can't stand them. They're pretty much all talent-less hacks that are stealing other peoples content. I'll make an exception to H3H3 because they actually add skits and edits among other things to actually make the video interesting and funny, where the focus isn't even on the video they're reacting to. But in the case of people like Jinx: Youtube would be better off without them.
I completely agree with you there buddy

mrix

Reaction score
I had my video content stolen by a very large Youtuber called "Reaction Time" he has around 12 Million Subscribers!, I had my one and only video that went viral to have the content stolen by this Youtuber! which pretty much killed my views dead in the water! I never had any link back or credit at all. I think when you have something that is successful its not long before someone comes along and takes it!