Are reaction channels a bad thing?

MissFushi

Kawaii Gamer Princess
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Reaction YouTubers like Jinx are idiots. I hate to use such words but there is no creativity or work put into what he does. The comments on his videos are all about the actual video he is watching, which proves that is what people subscribe him to see. He is like the ebaums world of youtube aka making money off other's work. If he ever took one of my videos I would charge him with a copyright strike and force it to be removed.

Cabbage Hunters

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yes, reaction channels are bad. The reason theres so much hate on jinx and youtubers like him is that he just sits there and has the entire video play while he does nothing. Thats literally stealing content because no one cares about him and what hes doing - theyre just there to see the video.
Go check out some videos by iDubbbz, Pyrocynical, or Jacksfilms on Jinx. They do a good job of explaining it.

H3h3 aren't even in the same category because they makes skits and actually interact with it. And they react to different kinds of content.
Reaction channels take content thats funny and just sit and watch.
H3h3 and that type of reaction type of channel find abstract videos and cringe-y material to react to. Its a big difference.

Reactions: StrawKen

StrawKen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The react channels that don't react much are a problem, they are getting views for no reason. I only follow 2 react channels Fine Bros and REACT, they are the ones that started the trend and they know how to make the reaction videos. They don't just react to viral videos they also do videos on kids reacting to old tech, teens reacting to music, games and even politicals of crazy USA.
True. It seems like Reactions channels are the new form of reply girls.

Reactions: SerjEpic

StrawKen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Reaction YouTubers like Jinx are idiots. I hate to use such words but there is no creativity or work put into what he does. The comments on his videos are all about the actual video he is watching, which proves that is what people subscribe him to see. He is like the ebaums world of youtube aka making money off other's work. If he ever took one of my videos I would charge him with a copyright strike and force it to be removed.
Same here. It seems he found a loop whole in the system. Easy views, pretty much.[DOUBLEPOST=1453142567,1453142481][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes, reaction channels are bad. The reason theres so much hate on jinx and youtubers like him is that he just sits there and has the entire video play while he does nothing. Thats literally stealing content because no one cares about him and what hes doing - theyre just there to see the video.
Go check out some videos by iDubbbz, Pyrocynical, or Jacksfilms on Jinx. They do a good job of explaining it.

H3h3 aren't even in the same category because they makes skits and actually interact with it. And they react to different kinds of content.
Reaction channels take content thats funny and just sit and watch.
H3h3 and that type of reaction type of channel find abstract videos and cringe-y material to react to. Its a big difference.
I hear ya. h3h3 does add his own material to the video so your more focused on him rather the video.

LJay

YTTALK Panty Thief
Reaction score
Interesting how you said they have the right to post reaction videos (as well as gaming videos), but quickly change your tune after my response and give reasons on why people can't.
Yep, people have that right to upload and monetize but it doesn't mean they should or should be able to get away with it. They can still get those videos flagged down or monetized by other IP owners who also have rights. To the layman, and that's what I am, copyright and fair use with regards to YouTube, Uploading and Monetizing is a gray area. I do not upload or monetize content I do not have the guaranteed permission to do so. However, you seem to be a legal expert when it comes copyright with gameplay and reaction videos on YouTube so I'd like to hear more about your insights into fair use with regards to gameplay content which is copyrighted. Because if reaction videos are not in fact truly commentary or analysis and do not meet the four criteria for fair use than neither does lets plays and most other gameplay type videos which is why Game Developers can renege on their policies towards Gameplay channels at any moment and hit them with copyright strikes for monetary gain without any notice.

The channels who don't get into any sort of trouble are the ones who use games that are authorized, but that still remains up to the game developers.
Same thing applies to content owners who have their content reacted to on such channels. Some creators are okay with having their content reacted to and monetized on other channels and some are not. Some Game Developers and Publishers are fine with having their copyrighted material uploaded and monetized and some aren't. That's pretty much all that I'm maintaining from my original post that you responded to. That and the fact YouTube can be shaky ground for people who upload and monetize copyrighted content. I agree with just about everything you've said and only slightly disagree on some other aspects you've brought up.

Last edited:

RyanH

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Yeah, not a fan of most of them. Always makes me laugh when they think what they do is "fair use" when they just let the entire video play out and laugh a couple of times here and there. Would they sit there for an hour and watch a full length movie? No, because they know that they would get a copyright strike, it would be blatant copyright infringement and the movie studios wouldn't take kindly to that. I encourage all creators to either strike the reactors or if you're with an MCN get them to Content ID claim it so you start earning money off them.

Reactions: Shakycow

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Yep, people have that right to upload and monetize but it doesn't mean they should or should be able to get away with it. They can still get those videos flagged down or monetized by other IP owners who also have rights.
No, the people do not have the right to upload and monetize the videos unless they have been specifically granted them from the owner/ creator... who are the only people who do have any rights in regards to this.

However, you seem to be a legal expert when it comes copyright with gameplay and reaction videos on YouTube so I'd like to hear more about your insights into fair use with regards to gameplay content which is copyrighted.
I would not consider myself an expert, just someone who has been around for long enough.
Game play content is only allowed when granted the rights by the game developer/ distributor. Some do and there are no problems, some don't and problems arise. Once again though, game play videos have virtually nothing to do with (or in common) with reaction videos. I'm not sure what your hang-up is on this, but they are not the same.

Because if reaction videos are not in fact truly commentary or analysis and do not meet the four criteria for fair use than neither does lets plays and most other gameplay type videos which is why Game Developers can renege on their policies towards Gameplay channels at any moment and hit them with copyright strikes for monetary gain without any notice. Same thing applies to content owners who have their content reacted to on such channels. Some creators are okay with having their content reacted to and monetized on other channels and some are not. Some Game Developers and Publishers are fine with having their copyrighted material uploaded and monetized and some aren't.
And, once again, they are not comparable. At the very least, it is often in the terms of agreement of using a game of how video from a game can or can not be used.

As for how most reaction videos should not be allowed is simple... there are 4 keys used in determining whether something is used under fair use or if it violates copyright. In regards to reaction videos, the first (if it advances knowledge or the progress of the arts through the addition of something new) would be somewhat of a grey area, but the 3rd and 4th keys are fairly obvious violations.

The third key questions how much original content was used (the less the better) and how much of "heart of" the original was used. Since the majority of reaction videos show the original video in its entirety or, at the very least, its most important parts, it's a fairly clear violation of this test.

The 4th factor is if the diminishes the value of the original work. Since most reaction videos show the original work with a smaller thumbnail of whoever is said to be reacting to it, it is clearly competing against the original work. After all, having watched a reaction video showing the original in its entirety, there's little to no need to watch the original posting.

LeGenDaryPuLse

Rhythm Savage
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
They are a bad thing as stealing content and making money off of it is pretty much what is happening. I won't lie however some of them are so funny and are actually the greatest things

Ghoti

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
One of my favorite channels, H3H3, use Reaction Videos in a lot of positive ways.

They tend to focus on videos that they see morally wrong and highlight that with humor.

I haven't watched any bad "reaction" style channels, but I like H3H3's style alot

BecomeAPrime

Professional Designer/Photographer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I watch the React series on Finebros all the time... I absolutely love that because they really put effort into it but not many people do it as well as they do. Generally their show is so popular its an honor to even get the chance to be shown on it... Imagine the publicity if someone decided they like what they saw.