Are my Images Fair Use?

SimeonTG

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys,

I found these images online, with some of these images being on diy tutorials and others on real estate - or business websites. I believe these images are fair use since I am using transformatively as a background for a skit, some of the images are zoomed up, and the company will not lose money. Just to make sure I'm in the safe, I want to make sure that when I use background images for a skit for my video, if it is classified as fair use or not.

Link to video: youtube.com/watch?v=dLMzgXhWpCA (start at 0:07)

Last edited:

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Did you take the pictures yourself, find them on a website that said they were free to use under fair use or creative common licenses, or pay for the license?

If not- then you don't have the rights to use them.

Will the owner find you? Probably not, but that still doesn't mean they can't issue a claim if they do.

Reactions: subversiveasset

Krow

I've Got It
Reaction score
Did you take the pictures yourself, find them on a website that said they were free to use under fair use or creative common licenses, or pay for the license?

If not- then you don't have the rights to use them.

Will the owner find you? Probably not, but that still doesn't mean they can't issue a claim if they do.
I'm not sure you understand what fair use is. Any image, and i mean ANY IMAGE can be used as long as it falls under fair use. Now, it doesn't mean the owner can't complain and eventually take the video down. But if you take a closer look at the Youtube community, there are sooooooo many people who use copyrighted material and still monetize their videos. And you can defend yourself. You can present to YT your argument to why something is fair use and that might allow your video to stay up.

cmsimpact.org/code/code-best-practices-fair-use-online-video/

Here it is some great info on fair use.

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not sure you understand what fair use is.
Fair use is a defense in a court of law. Are you prepared to defend yourself in a court?

Krow

I've Got It
Reaction score
Fair use is a defense in a court of law. Are you prepared to defend yourself in a court?
Fair use is taken into consideration by Youtube. That's why you see so many monetized videos using popular copyrighted material that don't get taken down.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Fair use is taken into consideration by Youtube. That's why you see so many monetized videos using popular copyrighted material that don't get taken down.
I would love to see your source for that considering YouTube does not have the power to do so.

As stated, fair use is only decided in a court of law. If YouTube feels that a video clearly falls into that category, they have paid to defend various channels, but, if they refused to remove a video after receiving a DMCA take down notice, YouTube would be in violation of copyright law.

There are monetized videos using popular content because they either haven't been found, the footage isn't in Content ID, or the copyright owners don't feel it's worth their time in a legal battle.

If someone isn't ready or willing to defend their use in a court, the best and safest way to protect themselves would be to actually create everything themselves.

Krow

I've Got It
Reaction score
I would love to see your source for that considering YouTube does not have the power to do so.

As stated, fair use is only decided in a court of law. If YouTube feels that a video clearly falls into that category, they have paid to defend various channels, but, if they refused to remove a video after receiving a DMCA take down notice, YouTube would be in violation of copyright law.

There are monetized videos using popular content because they either haven't been found, the footage isn't in Content ID, or the copyright owners don't feel it's worth their time in a legal battle.

If someone isn't ready or willing to defend their use in a court, the best and safest way to protect themselves would be to actually create everything themselves.
You have the right to dispute the claim and sometimes it works well for you. In this very forum you have people talking about that

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
You have the right to dispute the claim and sometimes it works well for you. In this very forum you have people talking about that
Yes, you can dispute the claim... and the copyright holder then has a set time frame where they decide to either drop it or to file a claim in court. It is not up to YouTube.

The only way YouTube would get involved is if you can prove you either created the work yourself or if you have written documentation showing you have all of the necessary permissions to use said work.

Krow

I've Got It
Reaction score
Yes, you can dispute the claim... and the copyright holder then has a set time frame where they decide to either drop it or to file a claim in court. It is not up to YouTube.

The only way YouTube would get involved is if you can prove you either created the work yourself or if you have written documentation showing you have all of the necessary permissions to use said work.
Right. That's what i actually meant.

I remember watching a video of a film critic where he said he often gets hit with copyright claims and disputes them by claiming fair use. It often works out well for him, it seems.

The reality is that the usage of copyrighted material is a big part of youtube and can add a lot of value to a video. A lot of people do it and a lot of people get away with it. It doesn't work out well for everyone, but it works out well to a lot of people. If you can provide good arguments to why your video falls under fair use, and if the company has the ability to understand that you're actually right, there's a good chance they won't do s**t about it. They can take you to court, assuming you're willing to go forward with this. But let's imagine that you're reviewing a movie and narrate over a few images. Not sure it would be a good idea for a company to go to court over this since, since if you won, which would most likely be the case, they would set a big precedent and only give more power to people who wanna do the same.

Essentially, my point is this: If you've read enough about fair use and if are sure that what you're doing falls under that category, you shouldn't be afraid to go forward with your project just because someone might claim the content you have on your video. Just imagine the amount of videos and great content that would simply not exist if people just decided to never use anything they legally don't own.

Fair use EXISTS. It's a right that you have. You have the right to use other people's work without their permission as long as you're reviewing it, using it to illustrate your point, transforming it in order to create something completely new or making a parody. As long as your video doesn't work as a substitute to the original work, you should be ok with it.

So, don't be afraid of it. Do what you wanna do. Just make sure you educate yourself on the subject. The problem here is that a lot of people don't really know what fair use is. There are a ton of myths about the subject. And if you don't know what fair use actually is, chances are you won't be able to make a good case for yourself.

Reactions: Shakycow

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Right. That's what i actually meant.

I remember watching a video of a film critic where he said he often gets hit with copyright claims and disputes them by claiming fair use. It often works out well for him, it seems.

The reality is that the usage of copyrighted material is a big part of youtube and can add a lot of value to a video. A lot of people do it and a lot of people get away with it. It doesn't work out well for everyone, but it works out well to a lot of people. If you can provide good arguments to why your video falls under fair use, and if the company has the ability to understand that you're actually right, there's a good chance they won't do s**t about it. They can take you to court, assuming you're willing to go forward with this. But let's imagine that you're reviewing a movie and narrate over a few images. Not sure it would be a good idea for a company to go to court over this since, since if you won, which would most likely be the case, they would set a big precedent and only give more power to people who wanna do the same.

Essentially, my point is this: If you've read enough about fair use and if are sure that what you're doing falls under that category, you shouldn't be afraid to go forward with your project just because someone might claim the content you have on your video. Just imagine the amount of videos and great content that would simply not exist if people just decided to never use anything they legally don't own.

Fair use EXISTS. It's a right that you have. You have the right to use other people's work without their permission as long as you're reviewing it, using it to illustrate your point, transforming it in order to create something completely new or making a parody. As long as your video doesn't work as a substitute to the original work, you should be ok with it.

So, don't be afraid of it. Do what you wanna do. Just make sure you educate yourself on the subject. The problem here is that a lot of people don't really know what fair use is. There are a ton of myths about the subject. And if you don't know what fair use actually is, chances are you won't be able to make a good case for yourself.
Although I agree with this (e.g., fair use is a right and it does exist), I really don't want to UNDERSTATE the importance of being educated. As you say, a lot of people really *don't* know what fair use is. As you say as well, there are a lot of myths.

But part of the reason there are a lot of myths is precisely because -- as you also note -- most cases don't go to court. That's the only way we can get precedent about fair use, ultimately. If a company or individual lets their claim drop because they don't have the time/money/energy to take a claim to court, that means we have nothing to go off of. We can't assume that that is an example of fair use, because it didn't go to court. It could be that that film critic youtuber would have lost in court -- but we don't know, because he hasn't actually been taken.

I'm not saying I want to be the one who goes to court so that YouTubers everywhere will have legal precedent. BUT realistically, everyone should still be very cautious (even though, yes, fair use is a right), because even if you're sure that you WOULD win in court, do you really want to risk the chance that you will have to spend time/money/effort proving that?