Are Mailing Lists Better than Subscribers?

TeknoAXE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Any of you that has a Facebook fan page along side your youtube channel will absolutely acknowledge that the percentage of your reach has gotten abysmally bad as of late.

Similarly, along side YouTube's changes over the past year, which put a "Recommended" feed in front of the subscription feed, I'm almost willing to be money that they've also have some sort of algorithm affecting the subscription feed, which is sometimes reported as the sub-box being broken.

So your subscribers might not be seeing your stuff show up there.

Searching the web, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's going to be necessary in the future to build an actual mailing list along side your subscriber-base to maintain a following. I'm still learning on what I need to do this for myself and I don't know if there's a one-size for all approach to this (I'm going to associate mine with my website instead), but I think it's a realization that most of us should at least consider.

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not sure it possible mailing lists could work. But mailing lists require work. You have to make the mailing list, find a site to use, write the e-mail,etc. Subscribers all you have to do is make videos.

ProfKranc

Voice actor and Film-maker here to help :-D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I think it would make a call to action bigger as long as it didn't seem like spam. But a mailing list is a bit out there. Give it a try man, if it works, you will be a pioneer! :D

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Moved this here for you :)

KYCnick

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
A mailing list definitely won't hurt , but they're more used for transferring your online fan base into something else.
We use them in stand up a lot. Remind people you have shows or a store etc etc

If you're solely based online subs are more important IMO , but why not use both?