Applying to make Content ID Claims

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Have many people here applied to be able to make Content ID claims against channels that have copied your videos? I have used the "Match" tool to take down at least 10 videos where people have used my footage without permission. I read that is beneficial when applying for the Content ID tool. What are people's words of advice about the whole process?

I have 4 videos (out of 488) that are concert footage. Will that be a detriment when applying?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the copyright discussion forum. :)

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@Hulio

First of all, Content ID is for people or companies who own many exclusive copyrights. If you don't exclusively own the rights to more than 2000 media units and have both examples of places on the web other than YouTube itself they can be found, plus rights documentation presentable on demand, you will not be accepted.

Also please remember that just because you created a video, may not mean that you own all rights to it.

Do you own exclusive rights to the concert footage you are worried about, or was it recorded from either TV or the audience? If either is the case, and YouTube looks at your channel, they will not see you as a copyright owner; rather they will view you as an infringer possibly seeking to submit fingerprints of media you don't own to the CID system.

How does that work with fair use and response videos?
It doesn't; as you don't own exclusive rights to such video types. Fair Use and reaction/response videos by their very nature include third party copyright media, and so wouldn't qualify to be entered into the CID system.

Last edited:
Reactions: fixedsnuffle

fixedsnuffle

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
@Hulio

First of all, Content ID is for people or companies who own many exclusive copyrights. If you don't exclusively own the rights to more than 2000 media units and have both examples of places on the web other than YouTube itself they can be found, plus rights documentation presentable on demand, you will not be accepted.

Also please remember that just because you created a video, may not mean that you own all rights to it.

Do you own exclusive rights to the concert footage you are worried about, or was it recorded from either TV or the audience? If either is the case, and YouTube looks at your channel, they will not see you as a copyright owner; rather they will view you as an infringer possibly seeking to submit fingerprints of media you don't own to the CID system.

It doesn't; as you don't own exclusive rights to such video types. Fair Use and reaction/response videos by their very nature include third party copyright media, and so wouldn't qualify to be entered into the CID system.
Thanks very informative. It's amazing how complicated seemingly simple things often are.