Appear on the first page for search results (Example)

AmbossTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Comedian
I'd rather like to write a complete guide how to appear on the first page for a popular search but I'm not an expert for it. However, I DID surprisingly manage to get there (at the time of writing this) and it's most likely a common search, too. So I thought I'll show you which tags, name and description I used as a reference.

Yes, I know, the video title is -slightly- misleading but hey, at least I didn't use a hot female body (like many other dubstep video thingies) to lure in viewers. In fact, the video is still a review. Just not a serious one. I expected the dislikes but there are also quite a number of likes. All in all...views are coming in and I guess timing the video with the actual release of the album surely helped, too.

SEARCH: "Skrillex Recess" (Recess is the name of the new album)

VIDEO NAME: Skrillex - Recess (New Album) - Special Amboss Review

TAGS:Skrillex,Recess,New Album,New,Album,Review,Dubstep,All is fair,Brostep,Stranger,Try it out,Coast is clear,Dirty Vibe,Ragga Bomb,Doompy Poomp,f**k That,Ease My Mind,Amboss,AmbossTV,Funny,beatboxing,throat

DESCRIPTION:
Here is my very special royalty free non copyright issue thingy review of the Skrillex's first studio album "Recess". I've listened to the tracks once before recording the video and tried to recreate what I heard on the spot. Yeah, I was crap....but I like the album.

The original versions DO SOUND BETTER! :)
WOB WOB WOB!

You can buy the album here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/recess/id833843609

Tracklist:
01 All Is Fair in Love and Brostep [ft. Ragga Twins]
02 Recess [ft. Kill the Noise, Fatman Scoop, and Michael Angelakos]
03 Stranger [ft. KillaGraham from Milo and Otis and Sam Dew]
04 Try It Out (Neon Mix) [ft. Alvin Risk]
05 Coast Is Clear [ft. Chance The Rapper and the Social Experiment]
06 Dirty Vibe [ft. Diplo, G-Dragon from Big Bang and CL from 2NE1]
07 Ragga Bomb [ft. Ragga Twins]
08 Doompy Poomp
09 f**k That
10 Ease My Mind [ft. Niki & The Dove]
11 Fire Away [ft. Kid Harpoon]

MegaBoringGuy

Biggest Painted On Muscles You've Ever Seen, Baby
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There are only like 7300 results for it, it wouldn't be too hard to rank for. You've got a lot of tags that devalue the whole thing -

TAGS:Skrillex,Recess,New Album,New,Album,Review,Dubstep,All is fair,Brostep,Stranger,Try it out,Coast is clear,Dirty Vibe,Ragga Bomb,Doompy Poomp,f**k That,Ease My Mind,Amboss,AmbossTV,Funny,beatboxing,throat

You're not Shane Dawson, so you're not going to rank for any of those words. Also, don't put words as tags, unless it makes a lot of sense such as using "recess". People search in phrases, so using "funny" to try and rank for a Skrillex review is lunacy. If I tagged your video, these would be the tags - Skrillex Recess, Skrillex Recess Album, Skrillex Recess Full Album, Skrillex Recess Review. To add on to the tagging don't-dos, because 99% of those words aren't in your title, you would never rank for them anyways.

Reactions: nad and Noobzilla

AmbossTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Comedian
I see what you mean and I usually try to not use too many tags but I still try to understand the thing and I see different opinions all over the place. E.g. at the moment when I search for "Skrillex Recess Review" the video comes at place 3. When I search for "Funny Skrillex Recess Review" at spot 2. So the "Funny" at least seems to do something there. And it's meant to make it stand out in case someone wants to search for it later but can't remember which channel it was on. The other songs on the album are in it as tags because I thought it would help to get it into the suggestions of the other titles of the album and so far (statistics are late) there is some traffic coming from them.

But yeah....I am really not sure about beatboxing and throat. But I got them in there because that's how I(!) would search for this video if I would want to watch it again but can't exactly remember where I saw it.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'd rather like to write a complete guide how to appear on the first page for a popular search but I'm not an expert for it. However, I DID surprisingly manage to get there (at the time of writing this) and it's most likely a common search, too. So I thought I'll show you which tags, name and description I used as a reference.

Yes, I know, the video title is -slightly- misleading but hey, at least I didn't use a hot female body (like many other dubstep video thingies) to lure in viewers. In fact, the video is still a review. Just not a serious one. I expected the dislikes but there are also quite a number of likes. All in all...views are coming in and I guess timing the video with the actual release of the album surely helped, too.

SEARCH: "Skrillex Recess" (Recess is the name of the new album)

VIDEO NAME: Skrillex - Recess (New Album) - Special Amboss Review

DESCRIPTION:
Here is my very special royalty free non copyright issue thingy review of the Skrillex's first studio album "Recess". I've listened to the tracks once before recording the video and tried to recreate what I heard on the spot. Yeah, I was crap....but I like the album.

The original versions DO SOUND BETTER! :)
WOB WOB WOB!

You can buy the album here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/recess/id833843609

Tracklist:
01 All Is Fair in Love and Brostep [ft. Ragga Twins]
02 Recess [ft. Kill the Noise, Fatman Scoop, and Michael Angelakos]
03 Stranger [ft. KillaGraham from Milo and Otis and Sam Dew]
04 Try It Out (Neon Mix) [ft. Alvin Risk]
05 Coast Is Clear [ft. Chance The Rapper and the Social Experiment]
06 Dirty Vibe [ft. Diplo, G-Dragon from Big Bang and CL from 2NE1]
07 Ragga Bomb [ft. Ragga Twins]
08 Doompy Poomp
09 f**k That
10 Ease My Mind [ft. Niki & The Dove]
11 Fire Away [ft. Kid Harpoon]
I'm not sure how I did it, but if you type in CIWS or Close in Weapon System, my first ever video appears in the top 3 spots for me, and my most viewed video appears on the front page as well. The weird thing was when I told my buddy to mount his GoPro to his CIWS mount during their next test fire, I searched for GoPro CIWS to see if anyone else had done it. My channel appeared in the results along with a bunch of my other videos that are NOT of CIWS and some aren't even shot with a GoPro.... I'd like to figure out how the hell that happened.

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
There is no "perfect way" to be high in the search ranking. Have the most important words in the title, the description and the tags.
And then make sure to have a great video. Great video means having a long retention rate so Youtube sees that people like your video. Then they will favor your videos better then others. That's the key.

I have plenty of video that are on the very top of the search results while they have the exact same tags as other video who have 50.000 or even more then 100.00 views while mine often have less then 1000 (they are new) and still mine rank higher. Why? Obviously I can just guess but the only difference I see is that my retention rate is so much higher then theirs (you can check it on the video when the uploader doesn't block it).

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

katysbeautychannel

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's important to remember that YouTube are really cracking down on excessive tagging right now, too. You may try to get on the front page and end up with your channel terminated. A lot of gamers got the chop in the last week for excessive/not relevant tags.

Tom Martin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Freshness is a major factor in YouTube ranking. So you may see early success and then settle back down to the next few pages after a few days.

Also important to remember that YouTube results are a lot more subjective and volatile than google results and one persons results pages can look very different to the next persons.

TrentVlogsTV

Whatever, I'm Getting Cheese Fries
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Freshness is a major factor in YouTube ranking. So you may see early success and then settle back down to the next few pages after a few days.
This is true for one of my videos I was on the first page for a few days but then it eventually went completely off the search engine probably because of lack of views and/or audience retention.

AmbossTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Comedian
Yeah, I expect it to drop after a while. It's still going good for "Skrillex Recess Review". Not so much anymore for "Skrillex Recess" only.