Anyone know what is Duplicate Content Policy in Youtube?

yesfuntv

Reaction score
I wish to start a Youtube channel of collection and compile all funny video. But the video was not produce by me. I was only gather all similar video and group it as one. Does this violate the Youtube duplicate content policy?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Yes.

I'm going to assume that like 99% of people starting a YouTube channel these days, you are joining to try to make money. A few things you need to know before doing that.

Not many people who want to make a lot of money on YouTube actually do so. The average income for most YouTubers is only pennies a day, if that.

Secondly, you need to pass the compliance review and join the YouTube Partner Programme; but first you need to qualify to get that review. The qualification threshold is 1000 subscribers plus 4000 watch time hours in the past 365 days.

Unfortunately a lot of people think that reaching that threshold is an automatic guarantee of their channel being monetized by YouTube, when this is far from the case. YouTube has now made just getting into the Partner Programme extremely hard; and here is why most people don't even pass the qualification stage.

They don't film their own content, but rely on edits of third party media, often under copyright for their video production. YouTube recently adopted Adsense's Content Quality Guidelines, which bascially precludes any non-original media being monetized at all. I will link these so you can have a look within the YPP Policy set. Expand every section with a blue header so you can see what is inside it.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1311392?hl=en

Most people thinking of starting a YouTube channel to make money now, in my opinion, should simply forget it and find another way.

Last edited:

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hiya yesfuntv.. my thoughts are the duplicate content policy is designed exactly for you I'm afraid to say. There is an abundance of the same footage uploaded from various places that the uploader didn't even make which spams the site a fair bit. Try harder to think of an idea where you can be a real content creator of original work .. that means your own footage and audio. You will have a better experience and gain more.. and so will your viewers. Good luck

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I never realised it was 4000 watch hours in the past year, thought that was lifetime since the change was in place. So it resets every year if you dont make it the first time? Seems a bit crappy.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Once you get monetized, you stay monetized, but it has to be 4000 hours in the last year to qualify at all.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
tbh once you reach a following and a couple of subscribers... 4000 hours is pretty easy to achieve. I got some of my videos that they reached 4K hours by themselves. If you do youtube regularly and you grow, a year is more than enough to reach 4000 hours IMO.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@Michael

No my friend; the 365 days is ongoning and does a rollover every day of the year.
Seems awful that, what if youre 1k short, ridiculously unfair that you would then have to create content for 1 more year for free in hope you reach it.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's not how it works. If you got 4000 hours tomorrow, then you would be qualified for monetization tomorrow, assuming you had the 1000 subscribers. It has to be in the last 365 days. That is a rolling figure, 365 days prior to today.