Anyone experiencing less views in December?

I have read that December usually is one of the more active months on YT but December 2019 seemed a lot slower than I was anticipating. My channel is small to begin with and wasn't expecting something outrageous to happen, but wasn't getting as many views as I was getting in November. I think my videos have gotten dramatically better so I am just not sure what happened. I have also seen someone else say that this December was slow for them as well. Has anyone else experienced this or know why this is happening? Or is it just me? which may very well could be!

Moved to the YouTube main forum. :)

I have read that December usually is one of the more active months on YT but December 2019 seemed a lot slower than I was anticipating. My channel is small to begin with and wasn't expecting something outrageous to happen, but wasn't getting as many views as I was getting in November. I think my videos have gotten dramatically better so I am just not sure what happened. I have also seen someone else say that this December was slow for them as well. Has anyone else experienced this or know why this is happening? Or is it just me? which may very well could be!

I think a lot of people are spending time with friends and family during the Christmas period and not spending as much time watching YT videos. Traffic usually picks up again after the Christmas / New Year break. :)

Just did an analytic search on the last 90 days on my channel, and december was my highest month ever. It all depends on your niche and the amount of content you have already put out there.

I do movie reviews and since the last week of November/First week of December my channels been Nurf'd. I used to average a couple of subs a week and maybe a few hundred views. since December 1st I've had 3 subscribers and I think I've just rolled over to 300 views for that window of time...I dont know what the hell youtubes done. but if they could roll me back to my October Numbers that would be swell :D

Yes and no.

November's been my best month, but only because I had 2 videos go semi-viral, getting ~8k views between the 2 of them.
December's been slower, but I have only uploaded 5 videos and I expected none of them to go semi-viral in the first place.

For me, I have a relatively consistent influx of daily views from search that spills over to other videos on my channel (I get 2.2 views for every new viewer on average) with bursts of extra views resulting from new uploads. These bursts never last more than 4 days and usually die down completely 48 hours after the newest video has been uploaded.

As the channel slowly grows, the daily traffic and the bursts do get slightly bigger and bigger every time. I'm sure I'd have no problem hitting 40k monthly views if I uploaded every day, but that would probably burn me out completely and maybe even hurt the channel in the long run as returning visitors lose interest due to too much new content.

The trend is that December is generally the good month, but I have found that many other factors are at play that can affect things, that are beyond our control or explanation. Being a YouTuber is like planting a tree. It is a lot of hard work and growth is slow. You water the little sapling, fertilize the soil, treat the pest, protect it from the wind, etc, etc, etc. Slowly the tree grows. That is how it is to be a youtuber.

When you see these youtubers that are "Overnight" successes, just remember that in 99% of the cases they were already famous before they started their youtube channel, or they are paying for ads and professional marketing, or they are using bot-generated traffic to boost their score (against the rules, but happens every day). For the rest of us common people, it is just a slow grind to grow. If you get caught up in trends and market patterns, you will get disappointed over and over again until you will give up. Just stay the course. Keep producing content and getting better. Your youtube tree will grow if you keep watering it, and one day it will bud and produce fruit.

Just received my revenue check and it was my highest yet, I still think it's because of December and advertisers spend more for ads around Christmas.
But like Jungle Explorer said, I put alot of hours into it and it's been a slow growth, slow by SOLID.

Steve

Back