Anyone else notice a rise in snarky comments? Are people just stressed out or something?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I have been doing youtube for a few years now and negative comments do no bother me. But it appears that there has been a trend to what people are complaining about here recently. Like regardless of what my video is about, they are all complaining about the same thing, almost as if they are collaborating on what to complain about. It does not matter if it is a new video or a video that is years old.

In the last couple weeks, it seems like I have seen a rise in snarky comments on my videos. All of the snarky comments appear to be geared towards TIME. It seems like all of them are basically, "Your video took more then 30 seconds, so it was TOO LONG! How dare you waste my TIME like that." Comments on my videos have ranged from irritated to down right fury. It just seems like people in general are angry and taking it out on complete strangers.

I have been doing youtube for a few years now and I am used to people that are rude or mean, but I am wondering if there is something deeper to this latest trend in comments directed specifically at the length of videos. It's like a law was passed somewhere that videos have to "Twitterized" (reduced to shortest possible length with the fewest words), or people have the RIGHT to be outraged at you for "Wasting their time".

Anyone else seeing this?

Reactions: videoeditgr

Cly_Faker

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yep. I get comments every now and then complaining about how I talk too much from random people that I've never gotten comments from in the past. A common theme among them (at least on my channel) is a distinct lack of proper grammar or punctuation, so my bet is on younglings that lack any sort of attention span. Fortunately that's not really my target audience.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not really, but a couple months ago I posted my video in a YouTube group on Facebook for creators and this dude left a comment saying my intro was too long, I told him it had be longer than usually because I had to explain to my viewers what I was doing or they wouldn’t get the references.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Well, for me it's been a rash of these kinds of comments in the last couple weeks, where as I rarely got them before. Don't get me wrong, I get negative comments all the time, but they are usually about disagreement with my statements in my videos. But all of the sudden, every negative comment is about something to to do with the time of my video. It's almost like it is the same person using different accounts. Which it could be. But I also know that there is a general sense of frustration nation wide as a result of the overly negative news cycle that is intentionally trying to excite as much anger and frustration as possible.

So, I thought I would post here and see if anyone else was experiencing the same thing. Just as kind of a societal study.

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
People have been getting snarky about my Youtube trailers that I use as ads with AdWords. My latest one almost immediately got one. One of them actually got attacked by another small Youtuber; he said "keep in mind this guy paid for this" or something like that lol.

I think being a smaller Youtuber makes you a bigger target in general because of an innate tendency to compare us to bigger "stars."

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
People have been getting snarky about my Youtube trailers that I use as ads with AdWords. My latest one almost immediately got one. One of them actually got attacked by another small Youtuber; he said "keep in mind this guy paid for this" or something like that lol.

I think being a smaller Youtuber makes you a bigger target in general because of an innate tendency to compare us to bigger "stars."
Yeah. I get that feeling that in their minds these people think that somewhere out there, there is some set of rules about what is the "Right way" to create a youtube video, and if you don't follow this pattern, you have broken these Cardinal rules and should hang you head in shame and apologies to them for existing. It really is laughable, considering the absolute absurdity of some highly successful channels on youtube. Me personally, I could care less. I am not claiming to be something I am not. My channel is about me. You either like me or not. I am generally a nice guy and treat others with respect. I never pretend in my videos to be something I am not. And one thing I am not, is a person who is trying to live up to someone else's youtube standards.

I do welcome constructive criticism, but the snarky comments I have been getting lately, just seem like people venting frustration. All I have done in response to these comments is to remind them that there is a slider bar at the bottom of the video which allows them to jump to any point in the video instantly. I know I use it all the time to get the part interest me. It just confuses me why these people that think themselves so well versed in youtube technology that they can critique videos, but are completely ignorant of this very useful basic feature of the youtube video player. LOL!

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not really. I get the occasional stupid comment but mostly, it's a one-time troll attempt, I don't bite and they just go away.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sounds a bit crazy to me. I dont really get comments like that. On my videos are bitching about a lot of other stuff though:) Especially if I have a bit about Trump but it dont bother me at all.. I dont know if there is a trend but I think you are on to something when you mention twitter. The problem is (as you point out) that we are YouTube creators and we can keep it twitter-short or else we wouldnt have a channel;)

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
there is some set of rules about what is the "Right way" to create a youtube video,
we can all thank the Youtube Gurus that set the right and wrong depending to whatever whacky new feature Youtube or the Algorithm go into and not depending to the basic videography and also, online forum principles.

Reactions: Wyrd Wayfarer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Sounds a bit crazy to me. I dont really get comments like that. On my videos are bitching about a lot of other stuff though:) Especially if I have a bit about Trump but it dont bother me at all.. I dont know if there is a trend but I think you are on to something when you mention twitter. The problem is (as you point out) that we are YouTube creators and we can keep it twitter-short or else we wouldnt have a channel;)
Twitter has really ruined our society. I am the anti-Twitter. I hate it with a fury that knows no match. It will be the downfall of our country. It has has trained people to not be able to focus on anything for more then a few seconds. It has destroyed modern human communication. If we don't get a handle on this, one day we will go see a 30 second Hollywood movie at the theater, because people will not watch anything longer. Books will be one page.

I will not give in to this "Twitterized" mentality, where everyone wants all forms of information delivered to them in the shortest possible format, even if it is poorly made and lacking in all essential information. I will continue to write in FULL sentences, using PROPER grammar and punctuation. I will continue to make videos that way as well. If that means I lose a whole generation of people, AWESOME! I am not targeting them anyways. My channel targets mature adults that care about substance over a quick Sugar Rush of hollow amusement.

Side Note: There is an old word that people do not use anymore. It is the word, "Muse". It basically means, "To think". English is a funny language. In English, if you place the letter A at the beginning of any word, it reverses the meaning to the exact opposite. For example; the word, Theist, means, "A person who believes in God", and the word, Atheist, means "A person who does not believe in God". So if the word MUSE means "To Think", the word AMUSE means, "To NOT Think". Now ask yourself, how many forms of "Amusement" do Americans engage in everyday so they don't have to think about anything serious? Humm....? You think this might be the reason we have so many problems? Just saying.