Anyone else notice a rise in snarky comments? Are people just stressed out or something?

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah. I get that feeling that in their minds these people think that somewhere out there, there is some set of rules about what is the "Right way" to create a youtube video, and if you don't follow this pattern, you have broken these Cardinal rules and should hang you head in shame and apologies to them for existing. It really is laughable, considering the absolute absurdity of some highly successful channels on youtube. Me personally, I could care less. I am not claiming to be something I am not. My channel is about me. You either like me or not. I am generally a nice guy and treat others with respect. I never pretend in my videos to be something I am not. And one thing I am not, is a person who is trying to live up to someone else's youtube standards.

I do welcome constructive criticism, but the snarky comments I have been getting lately, just seem like people venting frustration. All I have done in response to these comments is to remind them that there is a slider bar at the bottom of the video which allows them to jump to any point in the video instantly. I know I use it all the time to get the part interest me. It just confuses me why these people that think themselves so well versed in youtube technology that they can critique videos, but are completely ignorant of this very useful basic feature of the youtube video player. LOL!
That is exactly it. They see the big youtubers and try to hold all videos to that quality now. Thing is, my camera was pretty expensive, but I'll be a looooooong ways off from affording to be able to make the kind of live recordings the big guys can make. I can't really let that stop me and some people just don't think about that. On top of that, I don't really present my stuff as anything more than trash, so high expectations are solely on any viewers that are coming in with them. And people don't realize that you have to start from somewhere. I've been laughed at for low view counts as well, but it's not easy to get exposure and it gets harder every year.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It has has trained people to not be able to focus on anything for more then a few seconds.
and accepting what they read without any further investigation.

But this is not only for America as you say. It seems to be a global problem.

I remember the older days when TV stars were other people judges and personas.
They just evolved (the next generation) to online ones. It is not the meduim though, tv or twitter or whatever.
It is the low level of entertainment or information people want to have. It is intrigue without the need to learn more...[DOUBLEPOST=1539411221,1539410920][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've been laughed at for low view counts as well, but it's not easy to get exposure and it gets harder every year.
I have seen masterpieces with limitied or few views on Youtube,
"The Harmonist" in Youtube maybe is a good example.
So what?
You just upload what you want to show or say or offer or sell.
The way and with the best you can do the given moment.
Who cares for massive unknown people feedback?
Especially if they complain that you waste their time.

I've been laughed at for low view counts as well, but it's not easy to get exposure and it gets harder every year.
I have seen masterpieces with limitied or few views on Youtube,
"The Harmonist" in Youtube maybe is a good example.
So what?
You just upload what you want to show or say or offer or sell.
The way and with the best you can do the given moment.
Who cares for massive random unknown people feedback?
Especially if they complain that you waste their useless
surfing the web time with not a real reason to learn or amuse themselfs.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Twitter has really ruined our society. I am the anti-Twitter. I hate it with a fury that knows no match. It will be the downfall of our country. It has has trained people to not be able to focus on anything for more then a few seconds. It has destroyed modern human communication. If we don't get a handle on this, one day we will go see a 30 second Hollywood movie at the theater, because people will not watch anything longer. Books will be one page.

I will not give in to this "Twitterized" mentality, where everyone wants all forms of information delivered to them in the shortest possible format, even if it is poorly made and lacking in all essential information. I will continue to write in FULL sentences, using PROPER grammar and punctuation. I will continue to make videos that way as well. If that means I lose a whole generation of people, AWESOME! I am not targeting them anyways. My channel targets mature adults that care about substance over a quick Sugar Rush of hollow amusement.

Side Note: There is an old word that people do not use anymore. It is the word, "Muse". It basically means, "To think". English is a funny language. In English, if you place the letter A at the beginning of any word, it reverses the meaning to the exact opposite. For example; the word, Theist, means, "A person who believes in God", and the word, Atheist, means "A person who does not believe in God". So if the word MUSE means "To Think", the word AMUSE means, "To NOT Think". Now ask yourself, how many forms of "Amusement" do Americans engage in everyday so they don't have to think about anything serious? Humm....? You think this might be the reason we have so many problems? Just saying.
Brilliant post!

Do you have a blog?

If so, I for one would read it!!!

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I really don't see why people think Twiitter and Facebook are going to impact their videos. They are both shallow, phoney no substance mediums.

I have not, and never will use either of them as an adjunct to my channel.

Just a waste of space IMHO.

As for nasty comments, well that goes with the territory. That's why we have the hide comments button. One strike and you're out.

Wyrd Wayfarer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
Twitter has really ruined our society. I am the anti-Twitter. I hate it with a fury that knows no match. It will be the downfall of our country. It has has trained people to not be able to focus on anything for more then a few seconds. It has destroyed modern human communication. If we don't get a handle on this, one day we will go see a 30 second Hollywood movie at the theater, because people will not watch anything longer. Books will be one page.

I will not give in to this "Twitterized" mentality, where everyone wants all forms of information delivered to them in the shortest possible format, even if it is poorly made and lacking in all essential information. I will continue to write in FULL sentences, using PROPER grammar and punctuation. I will continue to make videos that way as well. If that means I lose a whole generation of people, AWESOME! I am not targeting them anyways. My channel targets mature adults that care about substance over a quick Sugar Rush of hollow amusement.

Side Note: There is an old word that people do not use anymore. It is the word, "Muse". It basically means, "To think". English is a funny language. In English, if you place the letter A at the beginning of any word, it reverses the meaning to the exact opposite. For example; the word, Theist, means, "A person who believes in God", and the word, Atheist, means "A person who does not believe in God". So if the word MUSE means "To Think", the word AMUSE means, "To NOT Think". Now ask yourself, how many forms of "Amusement" do Americans engage in everyday so they don't have to think about anything serious? Humm....? You think this might be the reason we have so many problems? Just saying.

As someone who used Twitter for years, I think you're totally right. The biggest issue I can see with it is that because the character count is so low, people are unable to have a proper discussion. If you respectfully disagree with somebody, there is no way you offer a rational (and respectful) counter opinion unless you start a "Twitter Thread", which nobody ever bloody reads.

The result is that people become increasingly isolated into a smaller and smaller groups to the point where the echo chamber has gotten so bad that even the most tame disagreement becomes the biggest problem. I don't know what social media to use. I wish you could grow a channel simply from Youtube because I don't enjoy social media at all.

Wyrd Wayfarer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
I really don't see why people think Twiitter and Facebook are going to impact their videos. They are both shallow, phoney no substance mediums.

I have not, and never will use either of them as an adjunct to my channel.

Just a waste of space IMHO.

As for nasty comments, well that goes with the territory. That's why we have the hide comments button. One strike and you're out.
How did you grow a channel up to the level you're at now without social media? I'm intrigued!

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Brilliant post!

Do you have a blog?

If so, I for one would read it!!!

Thanks. No I do not have a blog. I do have a website but I don't do any blogging on it though. It is mainly a photo gallery and video site.[DOUBLEPOST=1539458121,1539457647][/DOUBLEPOST]
How did you grow a channel up to the level you're at now without social media? I'm intrigued!
I do have Facebook and Twitter accounts, but they exist solely for the purpose of posting my new youtube videos too. I have had them for years and I honestly can say they have not helped my youtube channel one bit. I have not looked at my twitter account in forever. I just check that little box to share my new video to twitter and Google+ when I am publishing a new video on youtube. All of my subs are purely organic and come from youtube. I have found all social media forums like facebook, twiitter, instagram, etc, to be utterly useless for promoting a youtube channel. It might be different if I actually liked communicating with people on those formats, but since it make my skin crawl to be on them, they will never work for me.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
By posting videos people wanted to see and learn from.

Plus, most importantly, by interacting with and responding to viewer comments.

YT can be a social forum same as Twitter etc if you take the time to communicate with viewers.

In effect the channel becomes a mini forum.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Stoner Gamer

Yttalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I got my first one today. Someone told me to shut up in the comments of one of my videos. :bounce:

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
As for nasty comments, well that goes with the territory.
I agree. I've been on YouTube from the beginning and snarky comments have always been there regardless of channel size. People just hide behind anonymity and become keyboard warriors.

Go to any music video or other video getting a lot of views and scroll down a bit and you'll almost always find people fighting and trading insults, often about stuff not even related to the video!

An increase in snarky comments is actually a good sign - It means the video is being seen outside of your loyal subscriber base - People that are just discovering your content. Often this happens when a video starts doing well in search or in suggested videos. It'll bring in new viewers who don't know you. Some will like the content and stick around - others won't. No big deal. ^^