Any Way to Improve Audio

amateurgamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi everyone! I'm amateurgamer and I recently started a gaming channel. I find one of my limitations is my equipment which are subpar. A toaster laptop and a very old mic.

I'm currently using audacity to make my audio acceptable. I have been searching online where they talk about having decent equipment. Lacking funds, I doubt I'll be upgrading anytime soon. Is there any other free software available to improve my audio quality? Or is audacity the best available one and I should just stick with it? Thanks!

TheLittleWorldOfJonah

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hi everyone! I'm amateurgamer and I recently started a gaming channel. I find one of my limitations is my equipment which are subpar. A toaster laptop and a very old mic.

I'm currently using audacity to make my audio acceptable. I have been searching online where they talk about having decent equipment. Lacking funds, I doubt I'll be upgrading anytime soon. Is there any other free software available to improve my audio quality? Or is audacity the best available one and I should just stick with it? Thanks!
If you have a phone or an ipod or something like that use it's mic... It has pretty good quality surprisingly... just record the audio on it and email it to yourself...

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru

Audacity is all you need in terms of software. Have you been using the "noise reduction" option ? If not, try it. Article here: http://www.podfeet.com/blog/recording/how-to-remove-noise-with-audacity/

If you still have problems, it's probably the mic that's the problem. I'd recommend a condenser mic that has a cardioid setting (so as not to pick up ambient noise) If you're on a budget, the "samson go mic" is a good choice. Check out some reviews on YouTube.

Reactions: PunchbowlGaming

amateurgamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you have a phone or an ipod or something like that use it's mic... It has pretty good quality surprisingly... just record the audio on it and email it to yourself...
That's a great suggestion. I will give it a try then. Thanks! :)

Audacity is all you need in terms of software. Have you been using the "noise reduction" option ? If not, try it. Article here:

If you still have problems, it's probably the mic that's the problem. I'd recommend a condenser mic that has a cardioid setting (so as not to pick up ambient noise) If you're on a budget, the "samson go mic" is a good choice. Check out some reviews on YouTube.
I'm afraid my budget is at a point where I cannot purchase anything for the time being. I am relieved to hear audacity is all I need. I just noticed that, when I export the file from audacity to windows movie maker, the quality seems a bit worse. I will check the article to see if I overlooked anything.

Thanks for the help! :)

S_Mielz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Is there any other free software available to improve my audio quality? Or is audacity the best available one and I should just stick with it? Thanks!
Ive learned that audio quality is only as good as its source. That being said, if you put in subpar audio into audacity, you're going to get subpar audio out. You can EQ your vocals which helps with all microphones, but effects won't turn subpar audio into great audio.
Start with upgrading the source when your budget allows. :up2:

amateurgamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ive learned that audio quality is only as good as its source. That being said, if you put in subpar audio into audacity, you're going to get subpar audio out. You can EQ your vocals which helps with all microphones, but effects won't turn subpar audio into great audio.
Start with upgrading the source when your budget allows. :up2:
Thanks! I am debating about my next step though. I could either improve my audio for better videos or a better pc/laptop for more variety. I think I will wait and see. :)

Reactions: Crown

PunchbowlGaming

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
That's a great suggestion. I will give it a try then. Thanks! :)

I'm afraid my budget is at a point where I cannot purchase anything for the time being. I am relieved to hear audacity is all I need. I just noticed that, when I export the file from audacity to windows movie maker, the quality seems a bit worse. I will check the article to see if I overlooked anything.

Thanks for the help! :)
I have found the noise reduction feature of Audacity to be brilliant. It removes all unwanted noise flawlessly and for some free software I was very impressed

Samantha McLean

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There are tons of good cheap mics. depends on your setup and how much background noise you have you might want to get a good cardoid mic or if you dont have much surrounding noise then the zoom h1 is also good as it has built in preamps and is very versatile .

amateurgamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There are tons of good cheap mics. depends on your setup and how much background noise you have you might want to get a good cardoid mic or if you dont have much surrounding noise then the zoom h1 is also good as it has built in preamps and is very versatile .
Thanks! I will keep the advice in mind. Budget is tight with expenses so it's a luxury at the moment. My phone is acceptable atm. :p

Reactions: Samantha McLean

Chris Raynerson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Use your phone as a microphone at the moment but really invest into saving for a microphone like a Blue Yetti. I get it that money can be tight, but in order to grow you'll have to spend money to make it.

For example, you're not only buying for a better quality mic. You are also saving your time in not having to go through hurtles like recording on your phone and transferring it over. You buy the better mic, you'll save yourself time so that way you can grow your channel faster in other tasks in that free time.

Its a huge investment that'll pay off so try your best saving for one.