Any microphone that can minimize/eliminate noise made by roommates?

Reaction score
What microphone should I use if I am filming my youtube videos at home/in my apartment where I have bunch of roommates all around me? I have my own room in each place but I can still hear them when they speak outside my room or and less so in other areas of the house. I also hear their door closing, etc. What should I do to film in these places?

I am assuming I should sound-proof my room and use a shotgun mic? What is the best mic in these situations to minimize all noise except my voice?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Update: Would buying a whisper room be the best solution or is there a similarly effective solution I can do for cheaper?

D_halfrican

I've Got It
Reaction score
Think more on budget yes a shot gun mic might work the best but how close can you get to your subject I’d try fixing the environment then the gear

Reaction score
Think more on budget yes a shot gun mic might work the best but how close can you get to your subject I’d try fixing the environment then the gear
How do I fix the environment? I can't tell my roommates to stop moving or speaking or closing doors. Do I install sound-proofing materials on the walls of my room?

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Give Audacity a try before you spend money on a new microphone (it's free). You can use the "noise removal" effect to take a quiet section of your audio and add it over noisy sections.

Reaction score
Give Audacity a try before you spend money on a new microphone (it's free). You can use the "noise removal" effect to take a quiet section of your audio and add it over noisy sections.
I want to stream too without people hearing my neighbors. So shotgun the only way to go then?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
You need a microphone with a "cardioid setting" (google it and you'll find the explanation and plenty of examples.) A mic using the cardioid setting will only pick up sounds very close to it (your voice) - It's the sort of mic setting used in podcasts, voice acting and radio presenting etc.

D_halfrican

I've Got It
Reaction score
What type of videos do you film, yes sound proof do it like in school of rock use blankets then try to wait till you roommates are asleep

Reaction score
You need a microphone with a "cardioid setting" (google it and you'll find the explanation and plenty of examples.) A mic using the cardioid setting will only pick up sounds very close to it (your voice) - It's the sort of mic setting used in podcasts, voice acting and radio presenting etc.
What about a shot gun mic? Which one would be better at eliminating everything else except my voice?