Any Introvert YouTubers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
So, one of my biggest flaws is that I'm terrible at socializing. It's draining and I've never been good at it. Through text, I can talk fine because that's just my mind venting, you know? It's like talking to yourself, but you get a response. It gives you time to think and let your ideas flow in front of your very eyes. It's weird to explain.

Whenever I talk to people, I'm just terrible at it. In a one on one situation, I can be competent enough to carry on a conversation. I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps it's because I know I have the person's absolute attention and have confidence in my socialization skills because they aren't leaving or looking for other people to talk to. I still get drained of energy of overtime, however.

But when I'm in groups.. I can barely speak at all. I feel as if no one wants to talk to me, and that there's no talking space whatsoever. It's like no one gives me a chance because I'm bad at socializing. And I don't think it's even intentional, either. I think it's just because I lack the social skills to feel comfortable in those situations. And then after the group conversation is over, even though I barely speak, if at all, I feel absolute crap. I feel like I just got falcon punched right in the crotch.

So, when it comes to doing collabs, especially group collabs, I can't really hold a stance. I can't really contribute to the group. It's like I'm an extra in a movie. It wouldn't make a difference if I was there or not.

I was wondering if anyone else had a problem similar to this and/or had any advice on what I could do. I know collabs are a huge part of YouTube. YouTube's a community. You can't make it on your own. You need to network. So, I'm just kinda screwing myself over with this flaw of mine.

AngelAttack

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I feel you. Sometimes people think I'm pretty okay and then we get into a call and they're like nevermind:/
I've been in situations where I'm in a Skype call with more than one person & I'm -literally- not talking for two hours bc I'm physically unable to say I've gotta go.. xD
it's embarrassing tbh. but hey we should collab someday xDD

Reactions: Dewmonic Abyss

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Don't know if I'd really call myself introverted but I guess I am, I don't have friends irl to socialize even if I wanted to which may as well be cause enough for an introverted title. I don't have that much of an issue talking when there is a crowd though I do have to control myself since I end up shouting for no real reason.

Doing YouTube vids has been pretty cool with dealing with a lot of the issues when it comes to public speaking, really is a great way to grow overall as a person. I wouldn't even worry about collabs until you're much larger, at least for me a multi person gaming vid is not funny in the slightest if the people don't have some serious chemistry which is hard to achieve with a random collab in general, but even harder when both parties have barely started YouTube and aren't developed at all as commentators.

It's a journey, a long well thought out journey. Take it slow, and plan it well.

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I feel you. Sometimes people think I'm pretty okay and then we get into a call and they're like nevermind:/
I've been in situations where I'm in a Skype call with more than one person & I'm -literally- not talking for two hours bc I'm physically unable to say I've gotta go.. xD
it's embarrassing tbh. but hey we should collab someday xDD
Exact same for me. I can talk to myself just fine, but when I'm with other people, my mind just kinda nopes out of it.. :p
Physically unable to say you've gotta go? That's the exact same for me, as well! When I'm in a call, I really badly just want to say I've got to leave, but I just literally can't. It just won't come out. And then I just close the call and either type a message saying I have to go or lie and say my connection was bad or some other stuff.
And I was actually wondering about that, too! We have very similar channel genres, and I think it would be pretty cool. If you're ever up to it one day, DM me on Twitter. xD

LizetteGaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Oh my gosh, I hear you. And it wasn't until my mid-twenties when I really started being comfortable with myself and accepting yeah, I was always going to be shy and introverted that wasn't going to magically change, so I had to figure out ways to deal with that rather than just hoping that as soon as X happened, that would surely sort it.

I started podcasting a few years ago, and whenever we were recording, I used to feel physically sick thanks to nerves. But I stuck with it, and it got easier and easier (not saying this is always the case, or fighting through the fear is the best way to approach the problem, but it can work); I think it must have been about six months before I was vaguely comfortable with recording an episode. Now, four years on, I can cheerfully sit down at my computer and jump into a podcast with a bunch of relative strangers and I'm pretty okay.

So, yeah, if you can find a way to push yourself a little, confront the discomfort in a small way, and keep doing that, again and again, you'll gain experience at dealing with it, and hopefully build up a resistance to the fear. But, yeah, it's bloody difficult.

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Don't know if I'd really call myself introverted but I guess I am, I don't have friends irl to socialize even if I wanted to which may as well be cause enough for an introverted title. I don't have that much of an issue talking when there is a crowd though I do have to control myself since I end up shouting for no real reason.

Doing YouTube vids has been pretty cool with dealing with a lot of the issues when it comes to public speaking, really is a great way to grow overall as a person. I wouldn't even worry about collabs until you're much larger, at least for me a multi person gaming vid is not funny in the slightest if the people don't have some serious chemistry which is hard to achieve with a random collab in general, but even harder when both parties have barely started YouTube and aren't developed at all as commentators.

It's a journey, a long well thought out journey. Take it slow, and plan it well.
Yeah, I'd think you'd know where I'm coming from. And it really is a great way to grow. I feel like I've grown a lot when it comes to public speaking because of YouTube. It's really helped me practice and vent and get everything out there, instead of letting it all bottle up. And that's true and collab gaming videos. It's a lot harder for the audience to connect and identify the commentators. Thank you for the advice!

Oh my gosh, I hear you. And it wasn't until my mid-twenties when I really started being comfortable with myself and accepting yeah, I was always going to be shy and introverted that wasn't going to magically change, so I had to figure out ways to deal with that rather than just hoping that as soon as X happened, that would surely sort it.

I started podcasting a few years ago, and whenever we were recording, I used to feel physically sick thanks to nerves. But I stuck with it, and it got easier and easier (not saying this is always the case, or fighting through the fear is the best way to approach the problem, but it can work); I think it must have been about six months before I was vaguely comfortable with recording an episode. Now, four years on, I can cheerfully sit down at my computer and jump into a podcast with a bunch of relative strangers and I'm pretty okay.

So, yeah, if you can find a way to push yourself a little, confront the discomfort in a small way, and keep doing that, again and again, you'll gain experience at dealing with it, and hopefully build up a resistance to the fear. But, yeah, it's bloody difficult.
Right? It really wasn't until this year that I started becoming even slightly comfortable with myself. But even so, I'm still trying to adjust to socialization, and it sucks because personality is one of the hardest things to change. I've never really felt physically sick during a call, but before the call is the worst part. That's when I start thinking about bailing. Thank you for the advice! I think that's one of the best ways to go about it. Work through it gradually. I'm just naturally an impatient person, so that'll be even harder of a struggle, but I guess all I can do is try, right?

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Being introverted at the end of the day won't doom your YouTube career, it would be the inability to get over yourself and to break out of your shell. I mean as a comparison watch Markiplier's first video to his latest video. The dude went from a stereotypical dweeb that would get shoved into a locker to basically a popstar. YouTube is for "entertainment" whether you have a godly personality or can act the part, one way or another you have to figure something out to get your inner "fun" out there.

I mean even me, my first video sounded like complete s**t lol, I was so boring listening back at it like "ok.... so..... yeah.... uhmm..... let's do something...... right.............. yeah......." I'm still far from perfect but at least I can be like AHHHHYHEAHJHJJHJJJJ f**k EM UP BEATCHHHHH OOOOOOOOH" but yeah...

Hard work pays off, whether it be with YouTube, your own personality or anything.

Reactions: D-Red Beatz Games

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Absolutely! I'm not all that outgoing, but I can manage to talk to the camera on really specific subjects. My partner is even more introverted than I am, so he never appears on camera, only plays the puppet characters who appear in videos with me. It's a cool way of still getting our content made without having to leap over that introvert hurdle.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I wouldn´t call me a big introvert, maybe just lack social confidence!

EmilyJM

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Interestingly enough, when most bigger YouTubers take the personality quiz, they get introverted. So I don't feel like that is an uncommon thing on YouTube (although I'm an extrovert so i don't count here)

Status
Not open for further replies.