Any good keyword search tools?

Oscar J Stones

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Cartoonist, Animator, Other
Does anyone know of any (free) websites I can use to check how many searches, roughly, for youtube tags or keywords?

Steverd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's NOT free, but it's one of my favorite tools of TubeBuddy.
Might be worth checking out?

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
There is currently no tool that will give you searches for YouTube. VidIQ and TubeBuddy are way off. I've tested both tools multiple times. They are either basing their search data off of unreliable sources, or like many other tools are using Google Adwords data. The only tool that showed any promise was Videocents, but for some reason they disappeared.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
TubeBuddy are way off
I have used and trusted Tubebuddy for a long time now and I did NOT know that Tubebuddy is way off so I´m actually quite sad to hear that....REALLY sucks IMO. So I guess I have to look for alternatives:eeks:
A tip is to start your video titles with "How to" if you did not know this already;)

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There is currently no tool that will give you searches for YouTube. VidIQ and TubeBuddy are way off. I've tested both tools multiple times. They are either basing their search data off of unreliable sources, or like many other tools are using Google Adwords data. The only tool that showed any promise was Videocents, but for some reason they disappeared.
What is your basis for Tubebuddy being off?

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
What is your basis for Tubebuddy being off?
There are a lot of reasons:

The search and competition results are inconsistent. I'll do research for a keyword and record the data only to come back the next day and get entirely different results. This is using both tools. In the past hour I just used VidIQ and searched "How to Lose Weight" and was first told that the search volume was 23. An hour later I searched the term again and was told that it was 70.

Both tools estimate the data based on other factors. This is from TubeBuddy: "Unfortunately there is no precise data available when it comes to search volume and competition. We work in relative terms and compare search results to other search results on YouTube."

I've ranked keywords which are supposed to have plenty of volume and I get very little traffic. The opposite is true as well.

This is my experience. I'm only giving my opinion.

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
There are a lot of reasons:

The search and competition results are inconsistent. I'll do research for a keyword and record the data only to come back the next day and get entirely different results. This is using both tools. In the past hour I just used VidIQ and searched "How to Lose Weight" and was first told that the search volume was 23. An hour later I searched the term again and was told that it was 70.

Both tools estimate the data based on other factors. This is from TubeBuddy: "Unfortunately there is no precise data available when it comes to search volume and competition. We work in relative terms and compare search results to other search results on YouTube."

I've ranked keywords which are supposed to have plenty of volume and I get very little traffic. The opposite is true as well.

This is my experience. I'm only giving my opinion.
I agree.

I asked my YouTube partner manager the question and he informed me that YouTube do NOT release their YouTube search volume data in any way, shape or form. They don't even make it available through the API or even license it to third parties. My guess is that TubeBuddy's data comes only from users of TubeBuddy via the plugin. ie, it spies on your YouTube searches and then attempts to extrapolate the data. If that is how they do it, that would explain the erronous data because there is no way Tube Buddy user searches are a representative sample of actual YouTube searches. That is only a guess. I have no idea if that is how they are doing it. But it's the way that other plugins and toolbars do it (example Alexa)

Probably the best tool is the free Google adwords keyword tool. Even though it is based on search data from Google and not YouTube, at least it is based on real data from a full sample of users. I think it's fair to say that search terms entered on Google would be practically the same as on YouTube. The absolute numbers would be off but the relative numbers between different keywords would be accurate. No need to pay for plugins.

Reactions: 6StringMadMan

satiricals

I've Got It
Reaction score
Using the youtube search bar is a good way to find metadata that should be used. If the text is bolded then it's a search that has some hits. Doesn't necessarily mean that search term has an active search volume but it shows it has been searched a bunch of times.

I think they use to have a free youtube search term tool but they got rid of it.

The google adword tool shows google search terms which don't necessarily carry over into the behavior of youtube users. There's usually a few ways to coin a phrase and google & youtube get used differently. So how they term a phrase on google could be entirely different than how youtube viewers term a phrase.
The google adword tool does show more specific information though. Like how much it has been searched & how much it has been searched in the last 30 days (don't quote me on that, it may have changed since I last used it).

Reactions: 6StringMadMan