Any FCPX users?

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
My latest video (GoPro Hero 7 Review) on my channel has some test footage - with the fast moving footage I notice awful pixelation and blockiness (from 7:30 in the video) - this is not evident on the source video, so its definitely something to do with YouTube conversion/compression.

Have there been any codec changes with YouTube recently, as Ive never had this with any footage in the past?

I share via FCPX using H.265 as Ive always done. Ive also tried uploading source files - always get the same. What gives?

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Seems like blurriness from video stabilisation to me @7.30 either native from the camera stabilizer either in post.

If you play the original recording x10 speed in a media player will they appear?

Reactions: IftiBashir

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Seems like blurriness from video stabilisation to me @7.30 either native from the camera stabilizer either in post.

If you play the original recording x10 speed in a media player will they appear?
The source video is perfect - no issues at all. I can play back only computer and its perfectly sharp etc, no pixelation etc at all. Its only when the video is uploaded to YouTube....

Reactions: videoeditgr

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Maybe try save to your hard drive first which i think is share to apple at 1080. And /or check that you source file (presume 60fps) is not being exported at 30 on account of not selecting the correct frame rate for the project file. Can't think what else it might be.

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Maybe try save to your hard drive first which i think is share to apple at 1080. And /or check that you source file (presume 60fps) is not being exported at 30 on account of not selecting the correct frame rate for the project file. Can't think what else it might be.
Thanks but this is what I always do.
From FCPX I export as 'Master File' rather than share to YouTube.
This saves the file to my computer, where I then upload it from.
As I said, on my computer the video file is perfect - no issues at all, which makes me think its not an exporting issue. More so with YouTube re-encoding.

I also tried uploading a native file from my GoPro directly to Youtube. Ruling out the editor altogether.
Same issue...

I may try recording at 4K and downscale the video to 1080p. I understand YouTube forces a different codec for 4K video, when once downscaled....

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Is there any possibility to have Compressor software available?

One good reason (which I didn't thought) is frame rate as UhoohExtra said.

What are the imported (to fcpx) file parameters?
It is not only a matter of export settings but also import.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
i noticed it from 7:30 to 7:32. I wouldn't worry about it .. It just looks like a transition. It does not detract from the quality of the video and only a video creator would notice that. Your time better spent doing something else I reckon.

Reactions: IftiBashir

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Is there any possibility to have Compressor software available?

One good reason (which I didn't thought) is frame rate as UhoohExtra said.

What are the imported (to fcpx) file parameters?
It is not only a matter of export settings but also import.
Still doesn't explain why the video is perfect once complete and exported. It's ONLY when uploaded to YouTube.