Any downside to uploading video as PRIVATE and then switching it to PUBLIC?

Tropical365

I've Got It
Reaction score
What I trying to ask is... does youtube treat such videos any different? I'm about to upload a video as PRIVATE to make sure it looks OK and then I was going to switch it to PUBLIC... are there any downsides to not immediately uploading it as PUBLIC in the first pace? Thanks

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
No, because they are already uploaded as private until you click "publish". And if there was a downside, that would make the schedule option ineffective. When you set a scheduled time for a video, it remains private until the time specified, then becomes public.

Reactions: S_Mielz

S_Mielz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I had also wondered this at some point. But yeah, I do believe it’s treated the same. I always schedule my videos to publish at a certain time and I have verified that my subscribers get the notification too

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No there’s no down side because your videos are ready on private before you publish them

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I always upload as private or sceduled, because I need to add the endcard etc before I make them public. I'm pretty sure Youtube treats these videos exactly the same, so use that Scedule option to your advantage!

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There is no downside. The video publish date for YouTube viewers is the date when you make it public, even if it was unlisted/private for hours or days before. My default upload is to unlisted, because YouTube takes some time to process the videos to HD/4K and if I publish it right after upload, some viewers will see it in low quality (SD, 480p) and not in HD, so they may think the video is in bad quality, while in fact its still not fully processed to HD/4K by YouTube. There are also other benefits of uploading as unlisted.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If it's private won't that prevent monetisation happening until you make them public ?

I always upload as unlisted to give YT time to monetise them before changing to public.