Any advice on how to make a good commentary?

notveryfunny

Reaction score
Hi so sometimes i struggle to commentate propellerly and i is really annoying so if youve got any advice it would be much appreciated :)

Reactions: HC.SameerPatil

Isthisawalrus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would like to know how to make good commentary as well - sometimes I struggle thinking of what to say, and I'm also not sure as to what kind of commentary I should do.

notveryfunny

Reaction score
I would like to know how to make good commentary as well - sometimes I struggle thinking of what to say, and I'm also not sure as to what kind of commentary I should do.
well some of my friends have told me to just say exactly what your thinking at the time and edit out the parts were you dont talk but this dosnt always work but it could for you

Your Buddy Gas

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Think about what you will say. Make a list with the points you have and write a script. I don't do the second step and immediately write a script, but it can help

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the Strategy / Technique Advice forum. =)

HC.SameerPatil

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi so sometimes i struggle to commentate propellerly and i is really annoying so if youve got any advice it would be much appreciated :)
Hey! A tip I use to make my videos more engaging is that I record myself failing multiple times so that I become more polarising and start saying whatever is on my mind. I think you are overthinking when you are doing commentary which makes it hard for you to not come off as awkward or boring. Just pretend like you are talking with your friends which you are on Youtube and do a few outtakes before you do the real thing. Not only will you get a laugh out of your fails but you get into the zone. I hope that gets the ball rolling for you. Good Luck! :)

Skydmark1

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I was just thinking about this today as I prepare to record audio for my first game review video. I think I'm going to try writing down bullet points that I want to touch on and ad-lib the rest and see how it goes. I get very little "quiet" time to record because we have a toddler running around all the time that loves to be involved with everything. So I'd prefer to only have to do 1 take, 2 at most.

The BBQ Chef

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Best bit of advice I can give here is to make sure you have a space that is private, quiet and you won't be disturbed.
Edit you video first and then put the commentary over the top.
Record you commentary in small sections, nothing worse than babbling on for 5 minutes only to get it wrong. This allows you to move the small sections around in your final edit and make sure things flow properly.
You'll find that like most things in life, the more you do it the better you get :up2: