Analyzing big YouTube channels through the Wayback Machine

Paperblossem

Reaction score
A few months ago I found a video from KSI watching his own channel grow through a website that saves them in an archive.

It's called the Wayback Machine. You simply copy and paste a URL into the search tab and see what it looked like on a specific time in the past.

Now I've been analyzing Life of Boris and I've noticed that his breakthrough was in 2016 but before that he already made over 100 videos or something.

He had 8342 subscribers on January 15, 2016 and it boosted to 20.688 subscribers on March 22, 2016 which was 132.247 subscribers on May 17, 2016.

So what I've learned from this is that Lifestyle/Entertainment channels will get a breakthrough after 8000 subscribers.

So keep doing self promotion, fellow YouTubers! We can all get there if we push ourselves to the limit! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Paperblossem

Reaction score
SocialBlade is another good resource to see when a channel took off. :)
SocialBlade only shows recent statistics. But not from a specific date. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Quite a small sample size (n=1) to come to such a conclusion. People "take off" at different times in their journey. Took me until I reached 50k to see a noticeable boom. I've seen some channels take a fraction of that to take off and others going well into 300k before seeing anything substantial.

If you want to "get there," then don't anticipate that you need to reach some sort of magical number, but keep doing everything in your power to make good, enjoyable videos. With a good dash of hard work and a hint of luck, you might finally get to that take-off zone.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
You can go back 2-3 years if you click on the "monthly stats" view and scroll down to look at the graphs.
Good point! Something changed recently there and the main graph got shorter so this is good to know

Reactions: Paperblossem