Am I using tags right?

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been keeping tabs on my keyword tags and where they rank in their search. Every keyword I try to get ranked and by doing so I have made my keywords pretty long.

Short keywords never rank and so I tend to stray away using them, however, I heard they are still useful.

Should I be using short general keywords even if they do not get me ranked in a search? As in using a mix of short and long tags?

Last edited by a moderator:

ApexTV

ApexTV Makes Top 10 Videos!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use a mix of short and long keywords. Be sure to choose tags that best describe your video as well as ones that are used in other popular videos. Best of luck to you! :) Hope this helps!

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Like Apex mentioned, use MIX of short and long keywords (Coz I do that too). We need to be creative and play around with words. For example, BAKING CAKE TUTORIAL (title of your video), your tags should have variety. How to bake cake, bake a cake fast and easy, easy ways to bake a cake, professional baking cake tutorial, make awesome cake in 5 minutes, learn to bake a cake quickly, etc.One of the tags should rank up in searches.

Reactions: Quick Question

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just checked one of your videos "WHO'S DIED IN GAME OF THRONES? - Game of Thrones Season 6" Which keywords where you targeting in this video? The keywords in the title suggest you are targting a particular question keyphrase "WHO'S DIED IN GAME OF THRONES?" which is not even a youtube suggested keyphrase..but that's not the point the point is in your tags you where targeting "quick question game of thrones" try matching your tags with your video Title and the content of your video and you will rank much easily. Hope that makes sense...

To answer your question above go for the longtail keywords the ones you are already using... those generic keywords are for the big guys....you will not exist trying to compete with them. you can always change your tags as your channel gorws if you choose to. hope that helps

Quick Question

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just checked one of your videos "WHO'S DIED IN GAME OF THRONES? - Game of Thrones Season 6" Which keywords where you targeting in this video? The keywords in the title suggest you are targting a particular question keyphrase "WHO'S DIED IN GAME OF THRONES?" which is not even a youtube suggested keyphrase..but that's not the point the point is in your tags you where targeting "quick question game of thrones" try matching your tags with your video Title and the content of your video and you will rank much easily. Hope that makes sense...

To answer your question above go for the longtail keywords the ones you are already using... those generic keywords are for the big guys....you will not exist trying to compete with them. you can always change your tags as your channel gorws if you choose to. hope that helps
Thanks, that's what I was thinking but I'm thinking it's not worth it to rank in every keyword if every keyword is a low searched item. All my titles are going to be viewer submitted questions so it's going to be very difficult for me to get a strong keyword title out of it. Thank you for your advice!

Br1anL

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Is there a way to see which tags are ranking better than others?

Quick Question

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Is there a way to see which tags are ranking better than others?
The green number on keywords is the rank, the lower that number is the higher in the search it shows. That as well as the rating tubebuddy gives you are great ways to see how your keyword stacks up. I would only use keywords that hit 70 or above on the rating unless it's ranked. Sometimes a score of 40 will somehow be ranked in a search so I might keep that.

I've heard that you're not supposed to go over 10 keywords. Does anyone have any opinions on or experiences with that?
I haven't heard this. I figure the more keywords the better, the more searches your video will belong to. The more chances someone will find it.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Use a mix of singular / double / 3 words
I rarely use a tag of 4 words or more (But i do sometimes)
Use the same tags but mix them around - For Example - My Green Bus / Green Bus thats mine / Bus thats Green etc etc you get the point
And max out the tag field of 500 characters