Am I using Monetization correctly?

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
So, my Adsense was recently approved. And by recently approved, I mean approved last night. Go me. I didn't want to monetize this early. I was hoping to wait until possibly 1K+ subs, but I figure doing it early might be the best, considering there's a pretty well accepted theory that YouTube promotes and suggests videos that are monetized a little more than those that aren't. And my goal with monetization isn't to milk my viewers for cash but to get my videos promoted to a potentially bigger audience and use the small, small revenue I get (which would be months for me to get a check, since I'm not in a network and am not expected to make $100 a month from views) to help fund better equipment, games, and etc. What I decided to do was just use the overlay ads. I'm against the skippable ads in the beginning, because I don't think it's fair to make people sit for 30 seconds to a minute to watch a video by a person they've never heard of. Or to milk my current viewers into watching them. Are overlay ads the way to go? Do people have to click on them and go to the external url for it to work? Or is there any benefit I receive from them just clicking the x, as that shows they actually saw the ad? And also, would monetization turn away viewers? How likely are overlay ads to do this? Content is key to overall watchtime, yes, and that's what I want to focus on, but I can't judge my own content on whether or not it's good or bad. That's for the audience to decide. I know they don't matter to me, personally, but I'm unsure of how viewers would react to them. With this kind of a thing it's a waiting game, an experiment to find out what fits, but this has been unexplored territory for me. If anyone could give me advice on this, that would be greatly appreciated. :)