Am I doing something wrong or....

Hellfire

Reaction score
hey everyone, I know everyone struggles at the begging I’m just not sure if it’s me or if I just “haven’t been noticed yet”? My channel is about 4 months old with 70 videos yet only 9 subs and 250~ views. I understand I’m in a saturated niche (gaming) but I feel like I put out good content. I’m not trying to bad mouth other channels but I have seen some that have very few videos, poor quality and still have a ton of subs and views.

I feel like my content is very good for e level I am at... ie good mic, audio, custom thumbnails , posting frequency (about 3 videos a week), I also post on twitter when new videos are released.

Is there something I should/could be doing to help promote my channel more? Or I should I just doing what I’ve been doing and hope it takes off one day....

Thanks for any help everyone.

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
In all honestly, your thumbnails don't catch my attention. Maybe do thumbnails to would make other watch your videos :)

Reactions: ASMR Amour

ASMR Amour

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
On top of revamping how you do your thumbnails I would try and focus on games that are more popular currently which i know can get expensive when lots of games are going out in a few months that are pretty big, but you get what you put into things eventually. and yes gaming is very saturated and you have to find ways to set yourself apart from everyone else that is doing the same exact thing. Try and get creative and come up with video ideas related to your genre that none else is doing.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the review / feedback forum. :)

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Is there something I should/could be doing to help promote my channel more? Or I should I just doing what I’ve been doing and hope it takes off one day....
"no" and "yes"

In time you will dig deeper and deeper on details, thumbnails as other people said, many things to explore. For quite enough people it is an interesting trip and that counts, that you overall get better and better. The destination (going viral) is not included in the journey's map! :) :p

Hellfire

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the feedback so far, I appreciate any and all feedback from all of you.

On the topic of my thumbnails is there anything in particular i should be looking at changing? I honestly thought they were kinda good and get the point of the video across. I see so many channel were they just use a screen shot from the video with a title and i have always felt this was a "easy way out". Again I'm not trying to bad mouth anyones channels, and obviously not many have the means to pay for some to custom draw all of their thumbnails..... I wish....maybe someday...

As far as content, i do agree i need to work on playing more current and relevant games. It's not that i don't but sometimes i feel like they aren't as funny and not worth recording .

Also i seem to have a barrier of talking more when playing solo games vs playing with friends. Does anyone have any advice on breaking through this barrier? Iv'e been trying to work on this, Even in my spare time i try to talk out loud to myself, lol. I probably look crazy but i think it may help in the long run.

Divine Authority

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The reason why you are not growing is because of the length of your videos. It too long and nobody is going to watch that long unless you are a big You Tuber. I would advise you to shorten the length and include only highlight of the video because that is what most viewer wanted to watch. You may not think it not worth recording any recent games but believe me it does.

Go for video games that are Trending but not Fortnite, too many people do video on that games. If you want, go for a blockbuster hits like the upcoming Spider-Man, The Last Of Us Part II and other well known titles when they released. There are some small channels growing just by covering God of War 2018 and Detroit Become Human.

Just lessen the length on your videos and include highlight only. You will do well.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Maybe try playing games on your channel that are pretty popular right now, also try changing up your thumbnails they kinda of all look the same. Try doing something different that most gamers don’t do since gaming is over saturated on YouTube, you need to do something that sets you apart from other gameing YouTubers!

Reactions: Hellfire

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Jees Hellfire thats a lot of hard work for low return and I see your problem straight away !

No1 is finding you as your not doing any SEO. Tags and Descriptions and Titles needs mucho work. For example.. I looked at 'Let's Play - Human Fall Flat - Ep. 01 (Learning to Drive a Rag Doll). All wrong! I don't know much about your 'niech' :mad:(!!!!Damn IT,. No1 in the history of all time knows how to spell that word .. I can't even get close enuf for spell to be as*ed to work it out for me lol) Sorry hmm. anyway. Consider something like this for title:

Human Fall Flat Walkthrough Ep01 Learn to drive a Rag Doll.
Note: Has to have relevant key word rich stuff at beginning. Not 'Lets play'. Go easy on non searchable/non relevant words. Instead have as many relevant searchable tags in title not just generic conversational words. Change Learning to Learn. The difference is 'Learn' suggests your viewer will get some benefit from the video, 'learning' suggests you will.

Next Description. Or lack off. You really need to pad that out. In a conversational way, not just listing keywords -that will be agains terms of service. Think about how you can write a few sentences to pack it full of stuff. Go find the most viewed video on same topic and see what keywords, and description they use as a fast track way of learning. I suggest maybe writing some of your script narrative in here as that is surely key word rich?

Tags.. You don't have enough! Go to youtube and start typing in search box the first couple words of your title and see what youtube suggest as it tries to auto complete your text search. These will be the most searched for phrases. (I used this method to come up with your new title above). Learn what they are and pack your Tags, & description with them.

Extra stuff you might do:
delete the pigeon english subtitles that youtube will have auto generated and redo them in proper English. Use a translator to add some titles in other languages also.

Hope some of above works

Last edited:

Hellfire

Reaction score
Jees Hellfire thats a lot of hard work for low return and I see your problem straight away !

No1 is finding you as your not doing any SEO. Tags and Descriptions and Titles needs mucho work. For example.. I looked at 'Let's Play - Human Fall Flat - Ep. 01 (Learning to Drive a Rag Doll). All wrong! I don't know much about your 'niech' :mad:(!!!!Damn IT,. No1 in the history of all time knows how to spell that word .. I can't even get close enuf for spell to be as*ed to work it out for me lol) Sorry hmm. anyway. Consider something like this for title:

Human Fall Flat Walkthrough Ep01 Learn to drive a Rag Doll.
Note: Has to have relevant key word rich stuff at beginning. Not 'Lets play'. Go easy on non searchable/non relevant words. Instead have as many relevant searchable tags in title not just generic conversational words. Change Learning to Learn. The difference is 'Learn' suggests your viewer will get some benefit from the video, 'learning' suggests you will.

Next Description. Or lack off. You really need to pad that out. In a conversational way, not just listing keywords -that will be agains terms of service. Think about how you can write a few sentences to pack it full of stuff. Go find the most viewed video on same topic and see what keywords, and description they use as a fast track way of learning. I suggest maybe writing some of your script narrative in here as that is surely key word rich?

Tags.. You don't have enough! Go to youtube and start typing in search box the first couple words of your title and see what youtube suggest as it tries to auto complete your text search. These will be the most searched for phrases. (I used this method to come up with your new title above). Learn what they are and pack your Tags, & description with them.

Extra stuff you might do:
delete the pigeon english subtitles that youtube will have auto generated and redo them in proper English. Use a translator to add some titles in other languages also.

Hope some of above works
Thank you so much for the feedback and suggestions. I guess I'm still pretty new at this side of youtube. Don't get me wrong I am an experienced, avid youtube watcher and have no problem finding what I'm looking for to watch, but when it comes to grabbing other peoples attention i clearly have no clue the steps to take for that, so again thank you so much.

I had some technically difficulties the last couple weeks (broken headset and changed capture cards) but im back up and running now. Spent today getting videos ready for the upcoming week. I made some changes following you guys' assistance.

Thumbnails were reworked with larger brighter font, less gimmick and more eye candy.
Titles are now labeled with more directly at what the video is, hopefully for a better SEO.
I also purchased the Pro version of tube buddy which helped me find a LOT of missed tags that can be used in for my videos.
Descriptions have more information as well as a more engaging feel to them so the viewer feel like I'm talking more to them instead of just telling them the same thing they know in from the title.

I'm not sure what you meant about the subtitles, or where to find them and turn off.

I'm hoping over the next week i notice some change in my view count with these small changes. I am also going to start the process of going through older videos and make these changes also in hope to draw people in to my older uploads.

Thanks again for all your help and if you have any feedback on future video PLEASE let me know.