Am I allowed to copyright strike him?

YkzTheOne

Hey!

Basicly a guy just downloaded my video, changed the order of the clips in it and put his watermark over mine. (Its a best of Twitch moments video)

So my question is, am I allowed to copyright strike him? Or since he changed the order of the clips I cant?

Thanks for the help!

This is a compilation video, right? Compilation videos aren't considered Fair Use by YouTube. That's the reality of it. You're not providing commentary over the footage used. Each moment you included in the video is owned by the respective person who was in that livestream. Meaning, the only thing you really owned was the watermark. And that doesn't make the entire video yours legally. For him to download your video and change the order of the clips is definitely a scummy thing, but it's fair game. Because neither of you actually have legal claim over it. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I gotta be realistic. Someone can't steal from you if you stole from someone else first. You'd both be in the wrong. I would recommend commentating over or about the clips if you want some sort of legal leverage.

To add to that, let's say that the content you had created your compilation from was public domain material - meaning that it had no rights holder and anyone is free to do with it as they want. Even still, if someone uses public domain content to create their own work (a "derivative work") that person owns the copyright only to their creative additions, not to the original public domain content. The fact that someone creates a derivative work using public domain material does not change the copyright status of the original material, and others would be free to use it as they wish.

Note: A common misconception about "public domain" is that it refers to things which are in the open and available to anyone. That is completely false. Believing that and acting upon it is a good way to get sued. For a good overview of public domain - what it is, how works become public domain, etc. - check out [SEE NOTE] and read it carefully. The same author has another page at Stanford titled "Public Domain Trouble Spots." A link to that is here [SEE NOTE] and I suggest reading it as well. It's all just the beginning, but that's the place to start.

Note: I can't link to any URLs... fun. Anyway, to find the pages I recommend Google "Stanford public domain." The first two search results should be it.

Back