Allowing anyone to freely use music in YT vids: Strategies to minimize or avoid Content ID or other snags

chibong

Reaction score
I have a song I would like to allow anyone to use in any YT vid, and would like to encourage them to do so by allowing them to keep all revenues with no content claims. My aggregator (company through which music is submitted to Spotify, etc) has a system that lets me create YT claims. I have contacted them, and they have no mechanism to whitelist everyone automatically. I can whitelist individual videos or channels, but this per video intervention isn't sustainable at scale.

The common sense thing to do would be to simply not enroll the song in their collection system at all. It would seem, though, that anyone who wishes to commit fraud could then step into that void and place a claim on the song which would still then create a claim on all those who I have told could use it for free. At first glance, this seems especially problematic as their claim would predate any action by me, and might create a real headache for me every time someone places a fake claim since I have no pre-existing one.

I've been off YT for a while, and looking to become involved again, so a bit behind the latest developments. Is there a way to allow anyone to use my music and guarantee that they will not be hit by any claims for the music (whether by me or by someone else committing fraud.

Also interested to hear if there are any other types of issues I may not be forseeing that others have experienced, and any general strategies for minimizing such issues.

chibong

Reaction score
I've never had to deal with these issues as I never use material owned by others, and haven't tried monitizing a channel, but if the goal here is just to make sure no one ever gets hit with a claim (from me or any fraudster) when using my music, what can be done to achieve this? Since my aggregator says their YT claim system doesn't have an option to just whitelist everyone, all I'm left with is either painstaking one by one whitelist for everyone who contacts me (a pain for me at scale, and a pain for everyone to initiate), or something done on the YT end.

So... on the YT end, without using the aggregator's claim service, is there a way to place a claim against one test case to establish ownership, then just never file another claim? Do I just need to establish ownership before anyone else does? Does that then stop their claims from being served? I can give instructions to anyone on how to beat a claim if they get one, but again, that's a pain for everyone involved.

Ideas?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hmm... When I used a digital distributor, I had them submit the songs to YouTube to auto-generate an artist profile, but I opted out of uploading the music to CID (it would cost extra, anyway). This seems to have let me keep a lot of my songs in the creative commons, and people haven't had their songs flagged (as far as I know). Anyone who claims my music as their own music would be doing so illegally, and I'd imagine the person receiving the claim would be able to submit a counter to it. Many videos pop up in my "duplicate content flags" that YouTube recently implemented, but I know a lot of videos are still out there with my content and haven't been flagged. At this point, I don't think there is much we can do about false claims. I think it's a problem YouTube has been trying to fix for a while now...

chibong

Reaction score
Hmm... When I used a digital distributor, I had them submit the songs to YouTube to auto-generate an artist profile, but I opted out of uploading the music to CID (it would cost extra, anyway). This seems to have let me keep a lot of my songs in the creative commons, and people haven't had their songs flagged (as far as I know). Anyone who claims my music as their own music would be doing so illegally, and I'd imagine the person receiving the claim would be able to submit a counter to it. Many videos pop up in my "duplicate content flags" that YouTube recently implemented, but I know a lot of videos are still out there with my content and haven't been flagged. At this point, I don't think there is much we can do about false claims. I think it's a problem YouTube has been trying to fix for a while now...
Yeah, obviously anyone claiming it (other than me) would be a false claim, but I'm coming from the standpoint that such false claims are inevitable if something becomes popular... especially if I go out of my way to tell people I'm NOT putting in a claim. Fraudsters will inevitably see millions of views with no existing claim as an open invitation.

So the question boils down to: If false claims are inevitable, and the only thing I care about is minimizing hassles for those who use my music (so they don't have to deal with false claims), then what should I do? Is there some way I'm missing to put in a preeminent claim, then just never assert any actions based on that claim? Is there some other service that allows me to do this? Does putting in a claim first at least streamline the process or act as some sort of deterrent to keep others from filing a claim?

Really just trying to do right by fans in allowing them to use it and making sure they don't spend time making something because I asked them to only to be hit by someone else. If that's inevitable, I at least want to minimize the issues, and speed up resolutions.

Who's got an overalls strategy for this?