Algorithm/Other change reduced my views substantially?

HistoryU

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Has this happened to anyone else the last few months? I started noticing about December 2018 that my views for my new videos were only about 15-20% of what i would expect after a week or so. I'm not a huge channel but I would average about 30-40,000 views for new videos, sometimes more, sometimes less. Now since December my new videos are only getting in the 2-5000 range and are pretty much dying after the first 3 days. I can't think of another reason other than something YouTube has done to my channel. This sucks...

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think I noticed an algorithm shift around this past fall or so. I wasn't affected as badly, but things seem a little different now. If anything, I've been getting more views on my new videos than I used to in the past, but less views on my old, published videos. YouTube is constantly tweaking its algorithm, so I tend to think of any shifts as temporary.

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
i think they changed how the views are perceived in the algorithm. so they only now count legit views and wont display "fake" or unofficial views. so it could be it is taking a while for the system to look over it, then update it. sometimes it takes a few days. on my YT video manager some videos have 100 views but show 50 - 60 then appear on the actual video a day or 2 later

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I enjoy a rollercoaster ride with all my channels. When they are up I consider the colour of my Ferrari. When they go down I survice on Bread and water.
Do you make the best videos within your niche? Can you make them better? Do you keep to a structured upload schedule?

BitsOfBen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I’ve been around Youtube a long time and learned to go with the flow of algorhythm changes. When something effects how my videos perform I just think ‘hey, that’s youtube life!’

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

HistoryU

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

These are my last 5 videos, and you can see the drop off in views. You can also see that the videos are very well received in terms of rating, so it's not like I'm putting bad content out there. The 4 videos before these are all in the 20,000 - 100,000 range too, so something definitely happened to my channel starting after the video at the bottom of my list. I follow my channel closely so I can tell when something doesn't seem right, and it happened here.