Age Restriction.. what is okay???

vatiwah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hello hello there. One of my videos got aged restricted and it was a video that was doing pretty well, especially over the holidays. However, a few days ago, it got aged restricted and I was puzzled. I tried to appeal it, but it was unsuccessful. They don't really say what is wrong, but I can only assume. Below is my video. Since I can't post the links, you can copy and paste the last part of the url into your youtube url or search for the title.
BOWSETTE IN SUPER SKYRIM BROS. BOWSETTE OUTFIT AND FOLLOWER - Skyrim Mod Review Episode 143
v=CspPXd3rErw
My video series has been historically been risque, but I have toned it down tremendously over some time. I don't zoom in or focus on the butt/chest. I don't pick suggestive poses like spreading or bending over for the camera. I don't use words like boobs, butt or any vulgar language in the commentary, title, description, tags. I no longer pick any outfits that are equivalent to a string bikini.

I am wondering.. how come youtube age restricts my video but not age restricts these other videos? Again, I assume it could be sexually suggestive in some parts, but these videos below blows my video out of the water in that aspect. I never used vulgar language, no real life violence/disturbing imagery, no harmful activities and whatever sexually suggestive content I may or may not have is a lot less then those other videos.The other videos have been around for a while and have the views so they should have been flagged a long time ago.

- Cuddy's Striptease | House M.D.
v=uwYwYW5YjlM
The video has 2 million views and has been up for over a year. Half the video is a strip tease that is extremely suggestive.

-Take a Shower With Quiet - Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain Gameplay
v=VQvyv8iHGkQ
1 million views and has been around for 3 years. A scene where the focus is a character taking a shower and there were plenty of focus on the chest and butt area with background people making lewd comments.

-This Is 40 (2012) - Are Those Real? Scene (4/10) | Movieclips
v=kAFxKPtwYuU
51 million views and has been around for 2 years. Megan Fox has her breasts touched and poked at for 1/4 of the video.

-Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 Fortune: Butt Rocked - PART 1 - Game Grumps
v=kwY09mV9kTE
2 million views and been around for 2 years. Scenes of bikini girls in suggestive poses.. the whole game is bikini girls. They have a playlist with many videos of bikini girls in suggestive poses. The titles often contain suggestive words like "boobs" or "butt"

-Best Quiet Scene In Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (MGSV)
v=3qvJx0p2eu4
Video has 8 million views and has been there for 2+ years. More than half the video is a female dancing in the rain in a revealing outfit and with several times where it focuses on the butt and chest.

After the appeal failed, I messaged youtube creator support via email and I explained the situation and provided those same examples with the same description. They gave me cookie cutter replies. My video is still aged and those examples above are still NOT aged after I told them about it. I am sure you guys agree that, even if you dont like the content of my video, those examples should be aged and if they are not aged, then my video should not be aged as well. If those videos are not aged, then those should be a safe standard or baseline for what is acceptable for general viewing.

I just do not agree with their decision to age restrict me and they do not tell me what is the issue could be.

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
At 0:28... isn't that young lady dressed a bit sparse?
At 2:00... those harnesses barely cover the naughty bits...
I'd also consider the imagery and voiceover at about 2:26 suggesting a BDSM scenario.

That was just me coarsely skipping the first quarter of the video, finding at least three sexually suggestive moments. Guess YT's algorithms found even more...

vatiwah

I've Got It
Reaction score
At 0:28... isn't that young lady dressed a bit sparse?
At 2:00... those harnesses barely cover the naughty bits...
I'd also consider the imagery and voiceover at about 2:26 suggesting a BDSM scenario.

That was just me coarsely skipping the first quarter of the video, finding at least three sexually suggestive moments. Guess YT's algorithms found even more...
Still doesn't change the fact that those OTHER videos should also be aged if that is the case. Do you not agree? I just want equal treatment.

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
OTHER videos
Perhaps those have been uploaded during a time (you mention them being up for long) when YT wasn't AS straight-laced and "family-friendly" as they're now.
After all, they find fault with your videos... despite the fact that those other videos you mention seemingly escaped them.
I guess you can't do anything better than tone down on almost bare b..bs and butts. Best not even risque or double-entendre content at all.

vatiwah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately my identity is built around it :p...

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@vatiwah

First of all, what other channels do or get away with has no bearing on what YouTube does to your own channel. It is you whose content was caught skirting the Community Guidelines and not the videos of the other creators.

Secondly, though this may be "your identity", it may be time to think hard about changing that identity.

Here is my reasoning on this thought. With as many subscribers as you have, it's my guess that you are a monetized partner. With what just happened to you, there is a good chance that your channel will be put into the queue for review of existing partner channels; and indeed may already be in said queue.

And if I am right, your chosen identity is about to get you ejected from the partner program through having your entire channel age-gated or age-restricted. Channels designated as entirely age restricted aren't eligible for monetization; and in the absolute worst case scenario you could end up with a disabled Adsense account via adult content violations, or a terminated channel due to Community Guidelines regarding sexuality violations.

I guess what you should be asking yourself at this point, is how badly do you want to keep owning/operating a channel on YouTube?

Reactions: Cephus and HiEnergy

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@vatiwah

First of all, what other channels do or get away with has no bearing on what YouTube does to your own channel. It is you whose content was caught skirting the Community Guidelines and not the videos of the other creators.

Secondly, though this may be "your identity", it may be time to think hard about changing that identity.

Here is my reasoning on this thought. With as many subscribers as you have, it's my guess that you are a monetized partner. With what just happened to you, there is a good chance that your channel will be put into the queue for review of existing partner channels; and indeed may already be in said queue.

And if I am right, your chosen identity is about to get you ejected from the partner program through having your entire channel age-gated or age-restricted. Channels designated as entirely age restricted aren't eligible for monetization; and in the absolute worst case scenario you could end up with a disabled Adsense account via adult content violations, or a terminated channel due to Community Guidelines regarding sexuality violations.

I guess what you should be asking yourself at this point, is how badly do you want to keep owning/operating a channel on YouTube?
Cue the inevitable "but it's not fair!" / "they're discriminating against me!" / "but I wanna!!!" / "waaaaaaaaahhhhh!" nonsense.

vatiwah

I've Got It
Reaction score
@vatiwah

I did nothing wrong and i showed nothing that you would not see in public. So having a bikini girl just walking around is cause for being adult content? Then kids shouldn't go to the beach or go to the mall.. I mean there are giant posters of women in lingerie on the window of stores at the mall.

At any rate.. I technically reported those videos to youtube when I messaged Youtube Creator support and they either are not age restricting them or they are taking their sweet time or they did not bother to look. The point I am trying to make is the fact that if those are not aged, then they are what I would deem as what is acceptable. Another point I want to make is that they accumulated enough views that there should be enough flags on those videos to warrant an age restriction.

Well.. first they came after "racist" thoughts, then they went after "sexy things".. sooner or later they will come after what you guys are doing and no one will defend you :p.. Good luck.[DOUBLEPOST=1547016260,1547016144][/DOUBLEPOST]
Cue the inevitable "but it's not fair!" / "they're discriminating against me!" / "but I wanna!!!" / "waaaaaaaaahhhhh!" nonsense.
Bless your heart.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I understand your point so from what I read:

"A video that contains nudity or other sexual content may be allowed if the primary purpose is educational, documentary, scientific, or artistic, and it isn’t gratuitously graphic

In cases where videos do not cross the line, but still contain sexual content, we may apply an age-restriction so that only viewers over a certain age can view the content.

Videos containing nudity or dramatized sexual conduct may be age-restricted when the context is appropriately educational, documentary, scientific or artistic. Videos featuring individuals in minimal or revealing clothing may also be age-restricted if they're intended to be sexually provocative, but don't show explicit content."

Source: support.google.com/youtube/answer/2802002

The keyword here in my opinion is MAY so they will decide to do it or not. From the videos you showed I would say they fall under an artistic purpose:
1. Is part of a TV show, there's more about that scene that has a purpose... I'm not familiar but you can feel it's kind of a joke
2. Again artistic since it's a well known video game, scene is part of a large clip that describes the character
3. Same, artistic comedic purposes
4. It's a gameplay, might get age restricted in the future cause I think they curse a lot
5. Again, artistic purposes for the video game.. music, rain, dance... they are telling a story

Your video: Minimal or revealing clothing that is INTENDED to be sexually provocative. I mean you pretty much mention things like "curvy, beautiful and naughty body" so yeah is pretty clear to me why it got age restricted since the message In your video is clear and it focuses in those parts. I don't know if this has something to do but maybe your channel has a history and YouTube doesn't want to take risks and I'm not sure if there's a rule about uploading mods/bugs/glitches on YouTube. Also it might be cause people been reporting a lot, maybe? I mean you said it yourself, you have a history so if people don't agree they will keep reporting your videos. I don't know how many reports you need to grab their attention.

Again, the keyword here is MAY, they may do it or not, only cause it happened to you doesn't mean it has to or it will not happen to the other videos but I don't see anything wrong with the examples shown. 1 and 3 are supposed to make me laugh, 4 is a gameplay but I understand this can get age restricted one day if they see it (I give you this one), 2 and 5 makes me feel sad and scary about this character and her past. The only message that your video tells me is that I want a mod to see bouncy boobs to get sexually aroused

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@vatiwah

Ok, I've given you all the warning I can; it's up to you whether or not you wish to remain in denial that YouTube saw something wrong with your video and therefore applied age-restriction to it.

Just don't come back here complaining when what I've predicted actually happens. Here to give you a further head's up, is the Adsense section on Adult Content, along with a video about it.

"Publishers are not permitted to place Google ads or AdSense for search (AFS) search boxes on pages with adult or mature content. While we recognise that interpretations of adult or mature content may vary across countries and cultures, we hold all publishers accountable to the same content requirements so that we can ensure a safe and healthy global advertising ecosystem.

If you’re unsure about whether or not something might be considered adult content, our general rule of thumb is this: if you wouldn’t want a child to see the content or you would be embarrassed to view the page at work in front of colleagues, then you should not place ad code on it.

You can watch this video to understand our adult content policy better."

I've done all I can as a Google Product Expert now. The ball is in your court.

Reactions: Cephus