Affiliate Links

Pixel & Bracket

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Does anybody have any success or failure stories in regards to affiliate links (like Amazon) in your description? I've seen quite a few people add a "My Gear" section with affiliate links.

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Does anybody have any success or failure stories in regards to affiliate links (like Amazon) in your description? I've seen quite a few people add a "My Gear" section with affiliate links.
I personally haven't used the My Gear thing yet but affiliate links have been great for me on my budget tech review content. I've been able to make enough money to purchase some much-needed camera accessories and computer parts to improve my YouTube activities. :)

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
i've made a few $$ from my current channel and other channels with Amazon links but unless you are making a LOT of $$ i would caution against it.
It seems that YouTube really does not like when you send someone away to another website (an end-session) and they reward channels with low end-sessions and high watch-times, going to other videos (yours or someone else's), etc.. in my last few product review/info type videos instead of putting in affiliate links that send people away, i have created playlists for other videos on the product, and linked to that, encouraging the viewer to go watch those other videos instead.
..We'll see if that strategy pays off...

Pixel & Bracket

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I personally haven't used the My Gear thing yet but affiliate links have been great for me on my budget tech review content. I've been able to make enough money to purchase some much-needed camera accessories and computer parts to improve my YouTube activities. :)
Cool, has your strategy been to put them in the description?

i've made a few $$ from my current channel and other channels with Amazon links but unless you are making a LOT of $$ i would caution against it.
It seems that YouTube really does not like when you send someone away to another website (an end-session) and they reward channels with low end-sessions and high watch-times, going to other videos (yours or someone else's), etc.. in my last few product review/info type videos instead of putting in affiliate links that send people away, i have created playlists for other videos on the product, and linked to that, encouraging the viewer to go watch those other videos instead.
..We'll see if that strategy pays off...
Interesting point of view, and likely very true

Oliver Andersen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I talked to another youtuber/ SEO master about this and he said I should wait till I had 1000 subs cause you need to build a subscriber base before you can sell something :)

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
he said I should wait till I had 1000 subs cause you need to build a subscriber base before you can sell something :)
As I already posted, i don't think sending people away from YouTube is a good idea but, what does he base his opinion on? I've seen nothing published by YouTube/Google indicating this is true. Before I stopped doing it, I was doing it (and making money) well and far below 1,000 subscribers.

Reactions: Kristeen

Oliver Andersen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As I already posted, i don't think sending people away from YouTube is a good idea but, what does he base his opinion on? I've seen nothing published by YouTube/Google indicating this is true. Before I stopped doing it, I was doing it (and making money) well and far below 1,000 subscribers.
Well as far as I am concerned I honestly dont think he based it on anything specific it was more like his opinion on it that there would be a bigger selling potential if you take the time to build your base up first :)

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
ok, so practically speaking, yes, the more subscribers (or, more importantly, views) you get, the better chance you will have in making sales.

Oliver Andersen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
ok, so practically speaking, yes, the more subscribers (or, more importantly, views) you get, the better chance you will have in making sales.
Just a quick question, as far as I have understand everything counts in terms of subscribers, views, description but what I am really wondering about is the total views cause I have a lot and was wondering what kind of role/how big of a role plays it?
Is it contributing to strengthen my algorithme?

Cause I have 2 videos ranked on top 10 in terms of search keyword and one of them is nr. 1 and keeps bringing in good views everyday.

Subscribers is good to have but they are not everything, its not only about subscribers its also about views and specially the view time which determines how you will get ranked.