Adwords talk......

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I send mine only to the video watch page - if you send to channel watch page don't they see whatever you have latest on there - which may not be the video thumbnail they clicked?

I tick off 'not a parent' but ye could see how it could go both ways - also the 25-54 three age groups give the most conversion, I focus on them.[DOUBLEPOST=1477194642,1477194517][/DOUBLEPOST]

Instream I would only run as a targeted channel trailer or advertisement for your channel. sort of like the welcome video for non-subs that Yt recommends on the non-sub channel page.

I would not be running 5-10 min videos off the channel as instream, it doesn't make sense. unless I'm missing something.[DOUBLEPOST=1477194986][/DOUBLEPOST]

This depends on a large number of factors. The most important is keyword hotness.

Take our top Hello Kitty video currently getting 240,000 views/48 hours. I can dump $100 into Adwords today for it, getting 10,000 extra views. The traffic would still very likely be the same after the campaign is over.

If I put that same $100 into one of our least popular videos, it would get 10,000 views no doubt, then die a quick exponential death as soon as the campaign is over. The simple reason is, no one is searching, watching, or cares about those keywords.

Plus add in things like channel and category authority, what level the channel is at, and a few dozen other things, would determine traffic patterns after the campaign is over.
Thanks for that correction, that was an error, should have been for the watch page of the video yes.

For the age bracket, I narrow that for my keyword search ads but not for the ones where I run ads on channels in my niche like this one. My rational was that even if they are older or younger or a non-parent, they did visit a kids channel so that must be a child watching 99% of the time? Was your improved return rate on search ads only or also channel placement? Or both? :)

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for that correction, that was an error, should have been for the watch page of the video yes.

For the age bracket, I narrow that for my keyword search ads but not for the ones where I run ads on channels in my niche like this one. My rational was that even if they are older or younger or a non-parent, they did visit a kids channel so that must be a child watching 99% of the time? Was your improved return rate on search ads only or also channel placement? Or both? :)
Results were very similar for channel placements and search.
The way i figure, the system will place you in the best place to get views, you'll be on kids channels anyways, so might as well not worry too much about it.
I found it difficult to get on some channels, such as rtr and toy freaks. The cpc is higher than 1 cent on top tier channels. I got on toy freaks at 3 cent and rtr at 4 cents, Way too expensive long term.

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Results were very similar for channel placements and search.
The way i figure, the system will place you in the best place to get views, you'll be on kids channels anyways, so might as well not worry too much about it.
I found it difficult to get on some channels, such as rtr and toy freaks. The cpc is higher than 1 cent on top tier channels. I got on toy freaks at 3 cent and rtr at 4 cents, Way too expensive long term.
Yes, some channels 1 cent will not be enough and you might only hit a few or no hits at all that day. My experience though is that if you don't spend more then 10 euro a day you can get away with 1 cent on most days. It might take a day though before it starts ramping up. I noticed though that over the last week, the prices are going up and I start hitting less views using only 1 cent, some days are better than other days. I remediated it by adding some more channels to the list, will have to see how it goes moving towards christmas.

One question for you, I made new campaigns for each ad so far but wanted to try out your ad group approach. I have been looking at automated rules but I can't figure out a good way of splitting the budget across ads in one ad-group. you mentioned you control the budgets inside an adgroup somewhere I think, how do you do this?[DOUBLEPOST=1477261025,1477258588][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks :) I hope you see this tomorrow and can respond....do you think, hypothetically speaking, if you were to stop the ads tomorrow you would be able to sustain the views and subscribers you're getting all on your own on all future videos........
Well, of course things would dip down pretty badly at this moment as I'm still a starting channel. Adsense for me is just a way of trying to jumpstart my youtube career, trying to elevate my channel over the other tens of thousands of kids channels starting up. The competition is so huge that without any sort of promotion, your progress is going to be very slow to get noticed and you might not hit anything on search (only some longtail search hits) without gaining some authority.
Secondly, it does bring me real solid subscribers (people without videos or a channel) which all helps to jumpstart more quickly.
Thirdly, I believe that from a psychological perspective people are more inclined to watch you if they see that the video hit at least over a few thousand views.

Sound_Proof

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
huh? I've never knew Adwords was so complex I just usually run my channel trailers as In-Stream ads and a couple of other videos as In-Display.

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I get the words in display and instream mixed up. But dont do the one that autoplays a commercial, that would be waste of money. Most people dont watch more than a few seconds of the ad so that would just kill your video retention.

Do the one the user has to click on to watch. That usually means they were kind of interested in the topic and wanted to see if your video was worth checking out.

I dont really do adwords anymore except to try and build channel authority or expose my channel to others so that youtube thinks we have related videos. I havent really successfully fleshed that strategy out so im not sure if it works. But otherwise i dont use adwords as much anymore because there are better ways to get more return on your efforts than paying $10 to essentially earn $1. So basically i dont use adwords to grow viewers or subs anymore. but i use it to try out other gimmicks that im not sure even work :)

Pierce's Mom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Just about to go to bed but this is how I roughly run my last campaigns at the moment, but there's plenty of ways to change things up so don't take it as the best way to promote. Others can chip in and comment how they run theirs too, plenty of people running good campaigns around here and I'm still learning myself as well :)

View attachment 38274

I'm doing lots of research before starting Adwords again for my channel. Just wondering since this is an older post, do you still run Adwords with the same set up as before? Or has your strategy changed a bit? Anything you would do differently or learned along the way?

I also noticed you used to targeted placements on certain channels, do you still target certain channels? If so, how do you decide which ones to choose? Is it better to target a certain subscriber range?... meaning for example if my channel has only 5k subs, should I try to target placement on channels with 10x more subs? Or should I go for the big players like ToysandMe, RTR, etc...

Sorry, that's a lot of questions. I just am afraid of pouring $$ into a campaign with little results. Thanks so much in advance for your help. ;-)

View attachment 38276

View attachment 38277
[DOUBLEPOST=1494746442,1494745784][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just about to go to bed but this is how I roughly run my last campaigns at the moment, but there's plenty of ways to change things up so don't take it as the best way to promote. Others can chip in and comment how they run theirs too, plenty of people running good campaigns around here and I'm still learning myself as well :)

View attachment 38274

View attachment 38276

View attachment 38277

I'm doing lots of research before starting Adwords again for my channel. Just wondering since this is an older post, do you still run Adwords with the same set up as before? Or has your strategy changed a bit? Anything you would do differently or learned along the way?

I also noticed you used to targeted placements on certain channels, do you still target certain channels? If so, how do you decide which ones to choose? Is it better to target a certain subscriber range?... meaning for example if my channel has only 5k subs, should I try to target placement on channels with 10x more subs? Or should I go for the big players like ToysandMe, RTR, etc...

Sorry, that's a lot of questions. I just am afraid of pouring $$ into a campaign with little results. Thanks so much in advance for your help. ;-)

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
[DOUBLEPOST=1494746442,1494745784][/DOUBLEPOST]

I'm of the opinion to always make your own opinion hahaha. Nobody knows for sure and there are so many ways of targeting that it will require a lot of promotions to figure out which settings were most successful.
What I usually did was promote one of my videos by targeting them at specific videos and/or channels that match the same of audience I'm looking for. This so that I maximize my conversion rate from viewer to subscriber. I haven't run any adwords for quite some time now so my last campaign is a few months old now. I do know that @KiddieToysReview had better success I think with using very targeted keywords and let Google find the best audience. I tried it as well and the result was similar for me. My best advise would be to create a few small ads first and don't run before you can walk. Otherwise you'll blow all your budget with bad settings or maybe on a video that you think is great but doesn't translate into good subscriber ratios. YouTube is a marathon, so don't worry that it takes a couple of weeks before you find what works best and only then crank up the spend to what you want to invest.

One final thing, I always made it a sport to get 1 cent ads and I almost always managed. But targeting RyansToyReview proved to be the hardest channel, I never got more than a handful of ads run on their channel, the demand for ads on their channel is just too high and increases the cost for advertising. So try to find which channels work out for you, maybe some with over 100k subs as well as over 1 million subs. Than check after a day or two how well it went and which drive better results.

Pierce's Mom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I'm of the opinion to always make your own opinion hahaha. Nobody knows for sure and there are so many ways of targeting that it will require a lot of promotions to figure out which settings were most successful.
What I usually did was promote one of my videos by targeting them at specific videos and/or channels that match the same of audience I'm looking for. This so that I maximize my conversion rate from viewer to subscriber. I haven't run any adwords for quite some time now so my last campaign is a few months old now. I do know that @KiddieToysReview had better success I think with using very targeted keywords and let Google find the best audience. I tried it as well and the result was similar for me. My best advise would be to create a few small ads first and don't run before you can walk. Otherwise you'll blow all your budget with bad settings or maybe on a video that you think is great but doesn't translate into good subscriber ratios. YouTube is a marathon, so don't worry that it takes a couple of weeks before you find what works best and only then crank up the spend to what you want to invest.

One final thing, I always made it a sport to get 1 cent ads and I almost always managed. But targeting RyansToyReview proved to be the hardest channel, I never got more than a handful of ads run on their channel, the demand for ads on their channel is just too high and increases the cost for advertising. So try to find which channels work out for you, maybe some with over 100k subs as well as over 1 million subs. Than check after a day or two how well it went and which drive better results.
Much appreciation for your help! Yes, practically impossible to get on RTR. We tried a year ago and targeted their channel, but never got a single video to play. Thanks sooo much for your advice from this post and even the previous posting!

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Much appreciation for your help! Yes, practically impossible to get on RTR. We tried a year ago and targeted their channel, but never got a single video to play. Thanks sooo much for your advice from this post and even the previous posting!
No worries, any time!

Reactions: Pierce's Mom

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi everyone, so I wanted to know if any of you were "experts" as far as adwords go.....we've only had our channel for about 6 weeks and have used adwords almost from the start.....my question is this.....we've noticed that when we do our ads "In Display" we get more views but lower audience retention and when we do our ads "In Stream" we get less views but higher audience retention.....anyone know why this is.....the second part to my question is should we continue with adwords or should we stop it and let YouTube take over as far as suggesting videos and so forth......I almost feel like the "successful" YouTube channels did not use adwords to promote themselves and so don't know which direction to go.......
Well first of all it is nice to see a first person on this forum who actually understands that you need to promote your channel and for that you need money.

Now about "Successful" channels, when YouTube just started, then if produced good quality content it was not that hard to get noticed and grow fast without any actual investment. Now it all has changed, even if you will read all guides in this forum and do what they say, you will still not rank on first page of youtube results, do you know why?
1. Older and bigger channels are already there
2. All new creators are doing the same
So you are not only pushed by bigger channel you are also lost in a pool of new channels who all have good seo and quality but only few subs and views.

So in 2017 you need advertise if you want others to find you and your channel to grow fast. You could continue using adwords if you have a specific channel or you can buy shutouts form bigger channels.