Adwords talk......

Lucy81272892

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi everyone, so I wanted to know if any of you were "experts" as far as adwords go.....we've only had our channel for about 6 weeks and have used adwords almost from the start.....my question is this.....we've noticed that when we do our ads "In Display" we get more views but lower audience retention and when we do our ads "In Stream" we get less views but higher audience retention.....anyone know why this is.....the second part to my question is should we continue with adwords or should we stop it and let YouTube take over as far as suggesting videos and so forth......I almost feel like the "successful" YouTube channels did not use adwords to promote themselves and so don't know which direction to go.......

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think the only thing that concerns me a bit is that personally I would have tried to gain some subs and followers organically at least for a little before jumping on adwords but that's just me. that way once you start adwords, you'll have an idea on how much it's helping or not. as of now, you don't have any #'s to compare it to. I mean who knows, maybe you didn't need adwords? some channels blow up without ad words; not likely but possible.

out of curiosity, if you were to stop adwords, I'd be interested to see how your views fair.

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm really curious if adwords is actually worth getting. I want to try it sometime.

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Can you share a bit more how you setup the campaigns? I mean less retention on lets say 50 or 100 views sample size is too small to compare.
I run all my ads on video discovery, in stream would not work well with my audience, but it could with yours?

Lucy81272892

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Can you share a bit more how you setup the campaigns? I mean less retention on lets say 50 or 100 views sample size is too small to compare.
I run all my ads on video discovery, in stream would not work well with my audience, but it could with yours?
If I may ask how do you run your ads because I think I might be doing something wrong, lol......do you promote each new video or is there a list of videos you're promoting on going basis.....I'd really appreciate some input, lol......I'm doing mine on a each new video basis and when I do In Stream it just seems like my retention stays higher, don't know why.....but then again when I do In Display we get more suggested videos as well as our subscribers pile up.....just a bit confused, lol

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just about to go to bed but this is how I roughly run my last campaigns at the moment, but there's plenty of ways to change things up so don't take it as the best way to promote. Others can chip in and comment how they run theirs too, plenty of people running good campaigns around here and I'm still learning myself as well :)

upload_2016-10-23_2-42-30.png

upload_2016-10-23_2-45-50.png

upload_2016-10-23_2-52-25.png

Lucy81272892

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks :) I hope you see this tomorrow and can respond....do you think, hypothetically speaking, if you were to stop the ads tomorrow you would be able to sustain the views and subscribers you're getting all on your own on all future videos........

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just about to go to bed but this is how I roughly run my last campaigns at the moment, but there's plenty of ways to change things up so don't take it as the best way to promote. Others can chip in and comment how they run theirs too, plenty of people running good campaigns around here and I'm still learning myself as well :)
I send mine only to the video watch page - if you send to channel watch page don't they see whatever you have latest on there - which may not be the video thumbnail they clicked?

I tick off 'not a parent' but ye could see how it could go both ways - also the 25-54 three age groups give the most conversion, I focus on them.[DOUBLEPOST=1477194642,1477194517][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hi everyone, so I wanted to know if any of you were "experts" as far as adwords go.....we've only had our channel for about 6 weeks and have used adwords almost from the start.....my question is this.....we've noticed that when we do our ads "In Display" we get more views but lower audience retention and when we do our ads "In Stream" we get less views but higher audience retention.....anyone know why this is.....the second part to my question is should we continue with adwords or should we stop it and let YouTube take over as far as suggesting videos and so forth......I almost feel like the "successful" YouTube channels did not use adwords to promote themselves and so don't know which direction to go.......
Instream I would only run as a targeted channel trailer or advertisement for your channel. sort of like the welcome video for non-subs that Yt recommends on the non-sub channel page.

I would not be running 5-10 min videos off the channel as instream, it doesn't make sense. unless I'm missing something.[DOUBLEPOST=1477194986][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks :) I hope you see this tomorrow and can respond....do you think, hypothetically speaking, if you were to stop the ads tomorrow you would be able to sustain the views and subscribers you're getting all on your own on all future videos........
This depends on a large number of factors. The most important is keyword hotness.

Take our top Hello Kitty video currently getting 240,000 views/48 hours. I can dump $100 into Adwords today for it, getting 10,000 extra views. The traffic would still very likely be the same after the campaign is over.

If I put that same $100 into one of our least popular videos, it would get 10,000 views no doubt, then die a quick exponential death as soon as the campaign is over. The simple reason is, no one is searching, watching, or cares about those keywords.

Plus add in things like channel and category authority, what level the channel is at, and a few dozen other things, would determine traffic patterns after the campaign is over.

Reactions: Pierce's Mom

Lucy81272892

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
okay am I missing something.......my adwords page looks nothing like the screen shot here.....and I don't have any of those options on mine.....I connect to adwords directly from my video on YouTube.....the promote button.....should I be accessing it from a different place.....it would be nice to have all these options.........

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
okay am I missing something.......my adwords page looks nothing like the screen shot here.....and I don't have any of those options on mine.....I connect to adwords directly from my video on YouTube.....the promote button.....should I be accessing it from a different place.....it would be nice to have all these options.........
Go to: adwords.google.com