Adwords for promoting video

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Lately, I had been using adwords.com from google to promote some of my videos. I took advantage of a promo code to test the service.

So far, the result is ok. With the right setting, i'm paying 0.01$/hit and 95% of the "hits" translate into a views on my videos.

Anyone have any trick to take full advantage of Adwords tools to promote your channel without paying a fortune?

ZaphodX

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I've considered doing this, spending a bit of cash with the potential to bring more views and subscribers to boost growth. Please let us know any further info on the results you've got out of it.

Any info on how you got the promo code?

AFAIK keywords/tags is very important. You want to get this bang on to get the best viewers who want to watch your type of videos and not people who will have no interest in your channel.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
For the adwords promo code, you can find it anywhere on the net. There is 100$, 75$, 50$ and some others deals. Mostly work only in US but there is some from any country I think. I live in Canada and I got mine by mail a year after signing up to adwords. Be careful when signing up, if you use the promo found online, it only work on new adwords account. So follow the step by step carefully to be sure to get the free credit. When I first signed up to adwords, I used a promo that was running on youtube. It was 75$ credit I think. I blow it up in less than 2 days on useless pay per impressions, that mean I was paying for my ads to be "view" even if they was no click on it. (ex: 20,000 impressions = 10$). I don't think this even exist anymore... So when I got my 100$ promo code, I used it wisely this time.

The only tricks I can give you is these one. Create a video campaigns for the video you want to promote

1- Set your bid to a maximum of 0.01$/click
2- On the placement tab: add youtube.com. That way, in my understanding, your ads will only be seen on youtube.com. So in theory, every clicks will give you a views on your video and a chance to get new subscriber, because the people seeing it are people using youtube already.
3- Add keywords on the youtube search keywords tab. Use popular keywords that will reach the audience you want, not necessarily keywords related to what your video is about. (Ex: I used the keyword "cats" for a video a made with a baby vlogging. Why? Because, my baby video is more popular with girls and women. And in my thought, people looking for cats videos are more likely being young girls and bored women... :p
4- Set your maximum budget to 1 or 2$ a day. Then when you reach your max budget, 1 or 2 hours after, check your video stats to see if your views increased. If not, change your setting. If yes, you can increase your daily budget to get more views for that day.

So with all these setting, you should get real views that will cost 0.01$/view. (my % is about 95%) Only drawback to these setting is that the minimum 0.01$ bid may not always get you many "impressions" in a day, so you'll get more views but slowly.

Oh... and if you are promoting a video that is already monetized by you, you may get back around 10 to 20% of your cost in your adsense account (if you are lucky) because people reaching your video through your ads are most likely be willing to click or watch an ads on your video. :cool:

I hope this will help...

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Ok. There is the detail of my last "adwords" experience.

70,111 impressions got me 928 views (click) on my ads and cost me 9,28$. So basically, I paid 0.01$/views.

On my youtube channel analytic, under the " Youtube advertising" tab, I can see that 874 views came from my ads. This is a 94% ratio rate.

The facts show something else. During this period (3 days), views on my video increased by 953. Before starting my promotion, the views on this video was stable to around 10 views/day. So overal, I'm pretty sure that my score with adwords campaign was closer to 100% and that analytic lost track of some views originated from advertising.

During that time frame I didn't get any subscription tho... but I think it have something to do with the content of my video. It was shoot in french and my channel show mostly english material.

You can make your own opinion by watching the video here:

Oups I can't...

https:// www. youtube. com/watch?v=-cSTcBvH4Ts

I targeted only "french" viewers for this video even if in the beginning it look like i'm targeting english viewers...

Hope it help. Let me know what you think about this campaign and if you would had done it differently. My future videos should be only in english or no text.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
oh... and during that period I can estimate my gain from adsense to around 12-13% of my cost on adwords.

TylorSkory

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Thanks for sharing your information in such detail! This is really helpful for me. I've only used Adwords a little bit, and although I got some good results, I always felt like there were a few things I could be doing even better. Already from reading your posts, I've learned a lot and am looking forward to trying again. Thanks so much.

Reactions: violentbroccoli