Advice on legal use of tv shows and movies

PoochMx

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm quite new to all of these Youtube stuff. After quite a long time deciding what I wanted to do on this platform, I decided to do some movie/TV show reviews. I have read quite a few posts now on legal issues, strikes, copyrights and the so mentioned "fair use". So, after reading this, my big question is: Is there a legal way to display part of a tv show or movie on a new video? Are there specific rules for these kind of videos? Is it all just part of the "fair use" thing? Should I buy a movie to use part of it? I'm still a little bit lost with this. Thanks in advance! :)

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone! I'm quite new to all of these Youtube stuff. After quite a long time deciding what I wanted to do on this platform, I decided to do some movie/TV show reviews. I have read quite a few posts now on legal issues, strikes, copyrights and the so mentioned "fair use". So, after reading this, my big question is: Is there a legal way to display part of a tv show or movie on a new video? Are there specific rules for these kind of videos? Is it all just part of the "fair use" thing? Should I buy a movie to use part of it? I'm still a little bit lost with this. Thanks in advance! :)
I'm quite new to this too, but I've been using short clips throughout my videos where they make sense, sometimes even with audio, and I haven't had any copyright issues yet (I have 16 videos containing movie clips up so far). I haven't used any of the scores in the videos however, I feel like that would cause the video to be flagged.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
So long as your video falls under review/criticism and your video only uses small parts of the clips, it should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Fair use or not, there's a good chance Content ID will flag it and (more than likely) the video will be monetized on the content owner's behalf... ie, they'll get any income earned from ads, not you.

PoochMx

Reaction score
I'm quite new to this too, but I've been using short clips throughout my videos where they make sense, sometimes even with audio, and I haven't had any copyright issues yet (I have 16 videos containing movie clips up so far). I haven't used any of the scores in the videos however, I feel like that would cause the video to be flagged.
What do you mean by "the scores"? And you already have quite some videos! Your channel looks promising :)

So long as your video falls under review/criticism and your video only uses small parts of the clips, it should be fine.
If I took those extra precautions, and the ID system were to find it anyways, what are the consequences? And yeah, it's supposed to be a review, just showing maybe a couple sccreenshots or really short pieces of a video.

Fair use or not, there's a good chance Content ID will flag it and (more than likely) the video will be monetized on the content owner's behalf... ie, they'll get any income earned from ads, not you.
Is that really common? I was watching some watchmojo videos, they're all Top 10 about movies! How do they manage to use so much copyright content?

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Trying to circumvent copyright detection systems is a very short-sighted plan. When you start getting caught, it won't be long before your whole channel is gone.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
If I took those extra precautions, and the ID system were to find it anyways, what are the consequences? And yeah, it's supposed to be a review, just showing maybe a couple sccreenshots or really short pieces of a video.

Is that really common? I was watching some watchmojo videos, they're all Top 10 about movies! How do they manage to use so much copyright content?

Modifying video so it’s not found *might* work for now, but it won’t be long before they can detect it automatically and it still wouldn’t stop someone from flagging it manually.

More often than not, it will do as I stated- monetize your video on the other parties behalf, they’ll collect all money earned and nothing bad happens to your channel.

Yes, that is incredibly common...and what has likely happened to the vast majority of videos showing movies/ tv shows/ trailers.

Watchmojo has 15.6+ million subscribers. At that level, they probably have deals in place so they could use the footage.

The safest advice I can give with copyright is to only worry about yourself- not how someone else is doing what they are. You never know what kind of licensing deals someone may have, if they’ve paid for the rights, or are flagged from Content ID and have a 3rd party claim on their video.

It should also be said, for every video you may find violating copyright, there are dozens that have been pulled that you can’t see...and it’s only a matter of time before the others are as well.

The safest bet would be to, as you said, use stills while reviewing.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
What do you mean by "the scores"? And you already have quite some videos! Your channel looks promising :)

Those precautions have saved me from Content ID numerous times

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Trying to think of ways to avoid getting flagged by the Content ID is the same as trying to come up with ways to steal things that aren't yours, and it is against the law. Either embrace the idea that using someone else's footage will mean that the other person will get paid for you to use their work, or create your own work to use instead. Please do not discuss ways to avoid getting flagged by the Content ID system, as that is against the rules here at YTtalk...

Reactions: Shakycow