Advice for new channel

Girls and boys toys combined channel or separate?

• Combine

• Separate

Results are only viewable after voting.

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Is it a good idea to combine girls and boy toys all in one channel or keep them separate?

As it's easier to manage one channel vs two, I wonder if combing such broad niche of toys will confuse algorithm.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy forum.

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm not a toy reviewer but I don't think it'd matter long as they're in a sep. playlist.

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
That makes sense. The different gender toys wouldn't effect YouTube algorithm? I assume some viewers are boys or girls are looking for a specific niche in a Channel rather than both genders. For example if viewers are boys they wouldn't be interested in Barbie toys.. Just a thought

BlockHeadGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'd separate them. I'm not a toy channel but I think you'll be able to pull specific audiences if you do gender based videos. Why not make 2 videos one for boys and he other for girls?

Reactions: Derrick Toys

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
All the toy channels I've seen from folks on this and other forums cover both girls' and boys' toys, so I think keeping a single channel would be fine.

Reactions: Derrick Toys

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'd separate them. I'm not a toy channel but I think you'll be able to pull specific audiences if you do gender based videos. Why not make 2 videos one for boys and he other for girls?
I agree however I have two toddlers a boy and girl so two separate channels means twice the amount of work every day :) My son is 3 he absolutely loves this and my little girl is getting into it being apart of the videos but wants to play with her toys too. So I'm a bit torn to start a kids toy channel or boys / girls toys channels. If I do separate toy channels it would be one for her and him which I don't mind but I may be a stronger channel as one so I can focus on better content being I do this all on my own. On the other hand is separate channels better for viewers in the long run? I don't want to confuse our viewers by batman one day and Barbie the next you know?

A tricky topic and Target made it clear when combining their gender toys..

Ryan ToysReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You can just try it out and see how it goes! It works for some but not for others! It works for channel kiddyzuzaa and Disney Car Toys feature both boys and girls toys! However most top toy channels are niche specific! Videos that gets views and increase watch time quicker has a higher chance of being suggested and promoted by YouTube. When a video gets release and those first initials people that watch it (usually your subscribers minus those other channels trying to promote themselves) click away, Youtube will unlikely promote your video to other people. Since usually those first views comes from your subscribers, if most people subscribe to watch toy cars and you post Barbie, the yea most likely they will click off sending a signal to YouTube that maybe this video isn't so great. Of course it could be the greatest Barbie video ever but YouTube didn't know that! There are time where YouTube will test your videos suggesting to other doll videos and if it does well there, then it will promote it again! I know you're looking for a yes or no answer but it's really up to you! For me, I wouldn't combine it but running two channels is very hard starting out!

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thanks for your advice, I'm confused how YT works being a new channel I feel my few videos are good quality and I'm not getting the watch time I expected which discouraged me. Somehow I can't get YT out of my head and everyday I think about how to improve so I'm learning better thumbnails and creative content. Now I just have to think less and upload more lol

Today after chatting with my husband it makes sense to give my kids separate channels for a few reasons. First, I came across a small channel earlier that had a girly doll house review one day and the next day a macho superhero cars video. So as a viewer, the niches were too broad for me of what to expect next and that's when I made my decision. Plus, my boy and girl have their own unique personalities and taste for toys so it's cute for them to have their own, even if it means twice the work for me :)

Thanks again for your feedback, means a lot to advise me on my new channel given your success. I expected it to be much easier at first to get noticed but bummed after a few videos in and barely getting views. Feedback is important to see what to improve. I really enjoy the story telling/editing process of creating these videos. They are happy memories with my kids to always have. Though, I am discouraged putting hours of hard work to get little recognition. My kids love it always asking for videos with mommy and I love creating/editing mini movies of my family having fun. Starting out is not easy and I'm sure many people are trying to figure out how to be noticed too.

Sorry for the long message :) No one I know has a clue about YT so it's refreshing talking to another mom that has experience in this!

Last edited:

My Dixie ReKt

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Is it a good idea to combine girls and boy toys all in one channel or keep them separate?

As it's easier to manage one channel vs two, I wonder if combing such broad niche of toys will confuse algorithm.
Id say more combine as it gives you chance to compare the two toys and have a little voting system in your video to make it fun by having which toy won etc