Advice For Gaming Channels

K.V Anime

Nerds With Passports
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There seems to be a onslaught of gaming channels more so than ever, which really isn't a bad thing. But what's consistent about these channels is the content produced. A lot of gamers are choosing to go the route of the norm and produce the same content that thousands of others are producing. Everyone does Call of Duty, Minecraft, etc and thus, I've noticed a lot of threads created with questions based on how to gain more views and subs for their channel. The issue is the lack of diversity.​
It's difficult to compete against youtubers with a massive following for the type of content you make. Nowadays, you have to be ridiculously creative or lucky to get any form of buzz. You really have to look at your body of work and ask what's so different about your channel compared to the masses, and then make adjustment to separate yourself from social and creative standards.​
This is not meant to discourage anyone from making gaming videos, but rather a formality of a overlooked reality check. Don't fit in, stand out. It's an applied mirror effect that goes unseen by the creator. Direct your attention into creating something that's special for your current subscribers, and a domino effect will take place. Say you have 40 current subs. You have the potential to double it if they recommend you to one of their friends. And it can occur again, and again, and again. The potential is always there and my advice is to make sure you're doing the best possible job to creatively flow out of the normal circle and create your own.​

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good points. I agree about doing different games. I know if I see a channel with only COD videos I just move on unless they show me something different.

irishman42

Candlejack. Candl
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Excellent points all around. I agree, channels need diversity in order to thrive. Sure there are some that can get away with just CoD and Minecraft but they are few and far between. I actually plan to avoid CoD and games like it at all costs simply because there is just an over-abundance of content out there already that I'll just get buried underneath it all.

MidasGaming

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thats why i make videos of different games but i do throw the normal games in there to.

Pearl

Sleepyhead~
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Ah, so true. C:

Slimrosnick

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i do call of duty and minecraft videos but i do it in a way that is very unique for example when i play minecraft i record a hour gameplay of footage and sit at my comp for hours editing it up and only including the funny parts and the entertaining parts. It is a type of video that i dont see too often on youtube the same goes with my cod videos basically my videos are funtages and very unique funtages but still no exposure :(.

PhazerConteh

Head Recruiter @ PhazerNetwork
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
i do call of duty and minecraft videos but i do it in a way that is very unique for example when i play minecraft i record a hour gameplay of footage and sit at my comp for hours editing it up and only including the funny parts and the entertaining parts. It is a type of video that i dont see too often on youtube the same goes with my cod videos basically my videos are funtages and very unique funtages but still no exposure :(.
Hey there you have some funny and entertaining videos there ahah! Im from phazer network and we have a director program were directors post on our hub channels to gain some exposure and your right you do need more exposure so if your interested add me on skype: djconteh and/or apply here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?pli=1&formkey=dERrZlhydm5aWEpuRjluc0ppNkhaVWc6MQ#gid=0 and check out http://www.youtube.com/phazergames which is the channel were our cod directors post one! Networking is a way to boost viewers its proven some our directors grew so much they got partnered!