Adsense vs Network

Cesmend

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello guys, this is my first post here.

I already have a gaming channel partnered with Machinima since 2011 and was planning to create another channel (a variety top 5 kinda content, not necesarily gaming but will use photos and maybe videos). So my questions are...

• When is it recommended to go with a network and when to go with Adsense? Can the difference in payment be big?
  • Also, I've heard that, with adsense you don't really have the content monetized until they aprove it. So that means that you lose money when they are reviewing it?
  • Do games always require permision of the publisher to be uploaded? Because I have a lot of videos in my channel and, really, I've never send an email like that before. Isn't the network supposed to protect you if you had any copyright issue?

Thanks in advance for all the responses, I'm liking the forum a lot.

Daniel

YTtalk's Juicy Lemon
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
1) It is difficult to tell because a number of factors come into play here, such as revenue split, time of year, whether the network is selling advertisers at a higher rate than adsense does etc. While you are likely to earn more with a network, a lot of channels don't. I know some people on the forums here have seen their revenue increase after joining a network while others haven't.

2) There is a potential loss of revenue here yes while you have to wait for YouTube approval. Though this will be the same for network's soon once the affiliate and managed update is up and running (this should be happening around late May) meaning even being in a network will not stop you from these checks unless you are managed, which not many people will get the opportunity to have.

3) Not all games require permission to be uploaded, though most do. It's best to check and research on the publisher/developer before uploading. There are sites however where you can find out information for most publishers relatively quickly, such as: http://letsplaylist.wikia.com/wiki/"Let's_Play"-friendly_developers_Wiki

This site is a spreadsheet of what publishers allow monetization and which don't, it's very useful and I've used the site in the past when putting out new videos.

Also, another note, networks will not help against any copyright issues, networks don't have licenses nor permission to allow you to upload, it's generally covered under fair use. Don't believe any networks that say they have licenses unless then can specifically prove otherwise.

Hope this helps. :)

Reactions: Shane

Cesmend

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you very much for the info. That cleared a lot for me.
I always thought that you couldn't upload gameplay if you were not with a network and if you partnered up with them, you no longer needed permission to upload any game.

So, maybe there are some networks that work best with different types of content?

Daniel

YTtalk's Juicy Lemon
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you very much for the info. That cleared a lot for me.
I always thought that you couldn't upload gameplay if you were not with a network and if you partnered up with them, you no longer needed permission to upload any game.

So, maybe there are some networks that work best with different types of content?
There are plenty of networks to choose from, it's best to research and find out which is best for you. :)

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm with Adsense, and I can instantly monetize my videos, even before the upload is complete.

Reactions: Crown

Cesmend

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm with Adsense, and I can instantly monetize my videos, even before the upload is complete.
I thought that monetizing with adsense always took a while. Also, do you get to have tools like scheduling your videos?

Reactions: babyteeth4

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I thought that monetizing with adsense always took a while. Also, do you get to have tools like scheduling your videos?
Yes, I can schedule my videos, make custom thumbnails, use YouTube's royalty-free music library too.
After I monetized, the first new video I uploaded I had to fill out some forms stating that all the content in the video belonged to me. But after that first one, the rest have been instantaneous. I've heard some YouTubers having to fill out the forms for a couple videos but it eventually becomes instant.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
+1

Me too, I'm with adsense and get instant monetization on approximately 90% of my uploads. For the others, they can take up to 48 hours but never had a problem. :)

Reactions: babyteeth4

LooneyBandito

Reaction score
3) Not all games require permission to be uploaded, though most do. It's best to check and research on the publisher/developer before uploading. There are sites however where you can find out information for most publishers relatively quickly, such as: (links disabled for this account, not enough posts)
I wound up partnering with the default YouTube partnership program, and I'm sticking with that list to determine which games to make content with.

I'd post the link to alloyseven's vid explaining everything but I can't post links here yet :/

Question - to partner up with another company like RPM or Machinima or any of the other variants, am I required to terminate my "default youtube partnership" - and restart the channel if I want to partner up with other partners?

Last edited:

Daniel

YTtalk's Juicy Lemon
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I wound up partnering with the default YouTube partnership program, and I'm sticking with that list to determine which games to make content with.

I'd post the link to alloyseven's vid explaining everything but I can't post links here yet :/

Question - to partner up with another company like RPM or Machinima or any of the other variants, am I required to terminate my "default youtube partnership" - and restart the channel if I want to partner up with other partners?
You don't need to restart your channel or anything or terminate your default YouTube partnership if your looking to join a network. :)