Addicted to analytics, going cold turkey

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm quitting looking at analytics. Over time I have realized that the view/revenue upswings were bringing me no real joy, and the downturns were bringing me too much angst. It was just an unhealthy compulsion that's not really necessary. I've been doing YouTube full time three years now, and I wasn't really learning anything new from the analytics anyway, and it was starting to dictate my mood too much.

This forces me to just concentrate on what matters most, just making the best videos I can make every time. That's what really counts, right?

Has anyone else found themselves overly obsessed with analytics, particularly realtime views and CPM/revenue? Anyone else want to join me in quitting looking at them? Let's see how long we can stay away from them!

Misha's Toys & More

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I did spend a lot of time analyzing when we started the channel, now not so much. And I completely avoid looking at the watch time/retention part, while predictable it still doesn't feel great when you realize that no one ever watches your entire video :D. I always sit in front of the computer though after uploading a new video, I enjoy when the views and comments start coming in. If I had your views and numbers I would probably never leave my room and just stare at the screen :).

PopsLetsPlay

UBER Gamer
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
it's hard not to look at analytics when it is so readily available..but i agree, sometimes it is really a pain to look at

Reactions: babyteeth4

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been on YouTube more than a year and a half. The first year I was so super obsessed. Later I came to realize how much it didn't even matter. I'd keep myself busy at work and out of work. Yet still continue to drop videos when I can.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
If I had your views and numbers I would probably never leave my room and just stare at the screen
I laughed out loud when I read this. I would be exactly the same!
I had a big increase in views a few weeks ago, going from less than 1000 a day to 20,000 a day. I was glued to real time analytics. When the views dropped to 2000 a day I became irritable and moody (I should say more irritable and moody).
Like babyteeth4, I have stopped looking at the analytics so often now, although I think if I had 1.4m subscribers it would be a harder habit to kick...

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It can definitely be mesmerizing, watching the numbers and trying to figure out how to improve them.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Would love to but can't. Two analogies spring to mind - would you fly with a pilot who doesn't look at the cockpit displays? Or go under with a surgeon who refuses to look at the ECG monitor?
I need to look at my analytics, to make sure I can pay the rent next month.Would hate to get a $700 deposit from Google when I'm expecting $7000 to cover the bills.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I check out my Creator and Adsense apps. Probably too many times (About 15 times a day?)
I think to go 'cold turkey' and not looking does bear risks and I think checking once per day only would be acceptable?

ItsBecky

Internet Idiot who loves making people laugh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I am way too obsessed with analytics and views, especially as i am currently trying to get to 1000 subscribers (can't even imagine what it must feel like to be where you are now!) I always try and post a video, promote it a bit then go out, or do something to distract me from looking for a while. I get really down when I don't get as many views as normal, which is happening at the moment i used to be able to average 40 views on first day of upload, now thats dropped considerably and I am actually losing my passion for youtube! I don't know why I keep looking, it's like looking at someones facebook or social media account that you miss, and really upsetting yourself. I wish i could just make it once a day tops when looking at my analytics but it's so hard! I guess at the moment I still take youtube way too seriously

Scapestrato

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I manage several channels, and I try my best to look at every one analytics just once a day as it`s really time consuming.

Though right after a new upload I tend to stick around a bit more to see the first views trickle in and get a feeling on what kind of performance to expect from the vid