Add your commentary to enable monetization - Real or Myth?

Acktomy

Reaction score
All those years, people have been saying,

"You can't just upload something taken directly from a movie or videogames on youtube and expect to get paid. You need to edit and make them your own flavor!"

Okay, I bought that. But then I came across two channels that made me really confused.

movieclips

scopian01

All they did was cutting out scenes from movies that they believe people will want to see over and over, and they still get paid for that.

How does that work?

Last edited:

Zesty

Zesty Person!/Rainbow Six Youtuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
They use those films and cuts in fair use, meaning that they are using those clips and making changes to them making it their own.

It's a confusing concept but as long as the clip you use is made original to your video meaning the whole thing isn't a movie then you're fine.

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
They use those films and cuts in fair use, meaning that they are using those clips and making changes to them making it their own.

It's a confusing concept but as long as the clip you use is made original to your video meaning the whole thing isn't a movie then you're fine.
The companies don't even care about that. If you've ever seen "Weird Trailers" made by Aldo Jones, he put in probably at least 10-20 hours per 3-4 minute trailer to add in over a 100-200 different edits to the trailer making it genuinely unrelated to the original trailer yet they still copyrighted him to hell and back to the point where he can't monetize his videos anymore without risking his channel getting deleted.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Even with commentary, if you use clips from a feature film, Content ID will automatically flag you, you'll receive a 3rd party copyright notification, and the video will be monetized on behalf of the film company (or whoever licenses the rights for them).

Video games are a completely different story and it changes based on the game company. There are a few websites that list all of the current rules ( "Let's Play"-friendly developers Wiki ), but it would be wise to check the individual developer website to confirm their stance before uploading a video.