I've noticed that with just how I watch videos. If I see a 10 minute video, I sometimes nope out of it just because I don't feel like watching something that long, even if it has good content. That's why I try to keep mine at most around 5 minutes
What would you say the optimal timeframe is? I was thinking around ten minutes (for things like a Let's Play Series. The video I just finished editing is 11 minutes, but part of a let's play series I am starting to make).

Maybe somewhere around 5-7? The only issue there is that for a let's play, you can't accomplish that much in such a short amount of time. Editing longer footage is a possibility, but then the viewers are missing out on progress being made in the series.... Thoughts?

What would you say the optimal timeframe is? I was thinking around ten minutes (for things like a Let's Play Series. The video I just finished editing is 11 minutes, but part of a let's play series I am starting to make).

Maybe somewhere around 5-7? The only issue there is that for a let's play, you can't accomplish that much in such a short amount of time. Editing longer footage is a possibility, but then the viewers are missing out on progress being made in the series.... Thoughts?
Let's Plays seem to be a different kind of animal. For them, the average time, at least I've noticed, is around how long you have yours. 10-12 minutes. So I think for that, it's a perfect timeframe. I do vlog like videos and informational videos so I try to condense mine as much as possible

My videos are pulling around 50 per two weeks or so. I was also curious on the retention rate of my video being around 20%. This may be from my three older videos, all which have 5,000+ views, but have been out for several years.

So, how do you guys keep the retention rate of your subscribers up? Is it with shorter videos? Calls to action? I'm curious to see how you all deal with that.

Watch and take notes from those top gamers who are constantly on the front page use parts of their style and make it into your own. I noticed even they copy each other from time to time.

Maybe you should start with shorter videos that get to the point quicker maybe highlight a specific part of the game.

Think of it this way if a person has a choice between watching #1 gamer on youtube Pewdie play for 10 mins or watching you some random new guy play for 10 mins who you think they're a gonna choose? You don't really need answer that question :p

I think this depends on the game. Some games have missions which last longer than 15 minutes. If these videos are broken up, then some viewers might just stop watching. At this point, I think you should aim more for making quality content than trying to find a good timeframe. You want to get noticed to get more subscribers. Afterwards, you can ask for their opinion and go from there.

I think this depends on the game. Some games have missions which last longer than 15 minutes. If these videos are broken up, then some viewers might just stop watching. At this point, I think you should aim more for making quality content than trying to find a good timeframe. You want to get noticed to get more subscribers. Afterwards, you can ask for their opinion and go from there.
The game I have started to do a Let's Play on is Junk Jack, which is a 2d Survival game... so the objectives are determined by the player. I think that my best bet will be to edit and form the episodes in a way that have some sort of event occurring in the video (like building a house, entering the mine, etc) and later on a larger milestone, like traveling to another planet as being the driving objective behind the videos.

Back