A YouTuber With The Same Name is ranked higher but..

ArsenalGamer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have been having this problem for months that there is a youtuber with the same name as me, "Cryptic Gaming" is Ranked higher than. But even though I have higher subs, views and probably higher watch time.I want to know why he beating me and how can start beating him.If do want to search my channel the link is here:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuYqE3yA97zwVuS5YpjTQjA?view_as=subscriber
and i his is here:

zerocache

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I just looked at socialblade and it does rank his videos at roughly half a millionth position higher (what a mouthful) than yours.

So his videos are performing better...

I wonder though if it's a real concern, as they're Fortnite, you're varied... what I'm saying basically we're comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not going to be ignorant to the fact that you want to own the name and position, but since the upside here is that your channel is on the up maybe just continue doing what you've got going already so that to keep pushing your identity out there.

I also have to wonder how much do users actually search by name and what effect it has if it ranks well... another test do myself :)

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Things you can do:

1)Make sure you have the name in your channel keywords - https://www.youtube.com/advanced_settings?o=U (put it in quotes)
2)Put the name in your tags for each video on your channel. (Put it as one of your last tags - Save the first few tags for the more important tags for each specific video)
3)Put it in your "about page" description. ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuYqE3yA97zwVuS5YpjTQjA/about ) Currently, it reads "Hey everyone! Cryptic here" - Change it to "Hey everyone! Cryptic gaming here"
4) Put it in the video description of all your videos.
5) Don't put it in the titles of your videos - It's overkill and a waste of a title. Your competitor does this and it's very effective but it's not a good strategy to grow a channel. (see below)

Why ranking high for channel name isn't very important:

Bear in mind, it only becomes important to be found by channel name AFTER a channel is becoming popular. Think about this - As a small channel, not many people know your channel name. Only people who have already visited your channel will know your channel name. New viewers (people you should be targeting) won't be searching for your channel name anyway right? It's much more important to target keywords that will bring NEW viewers into your channel. That is how you will grow.

Example process to grow a gaming channel:

1) Identify something that is difficult or confusing to noobies in a particular game you play. Let's say players need to build a wooden bridge in Minecraft in order to win a bonus. (obv just an example) If you could get to number one for "How to build the wooden bridge in Minecraft", then your channel would grow 10x faster than if you were number one for "Cryptic gaming"

Also - I noticed your videos are very very long (many over an hour!) As a small channel, trying to grow, I'd strongly advise you keep videos short ( less than 10 minutes) and make them on specific, laser-focused topics like my example above and then get traffic to them using good SEO (Longtail keyphrase in the tags, title and description) and make sure the video gets straight to the point with no fluff.

Good luck. :)

ArsenalGamer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Things you can do:

1)Make sure you have the name in your channel keywords - https://www.youtube.com/advanced_settings?o=U (put it in quotes)
2)Put the name in your tags for each video on your channel. (Put it as one of your last tags - Save the first few tags for the more important tags for each specific video)
3)Put it in your "about page" description. ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuYqE3yA97zwVuS5YpjTQjA/about ) Currently, it reads "Hey everyone! Cryptic here" - Change it to "Hey everyone! Cryptic gaming here"
4) Put it in the video description of all your videos.
5) Don't put it in the titles of your videos - It's overkill and a waste of a title. Your competitor does this and it's very effective but it's not a good strategy to grow a channel. (see below)

Bear in mind, it only becomes important to be found by channel name AFTER a channel is becoming popular. Think about this - As a small channel, not many people know your channel name. Only people who have already visited your channel will know your channel name. New viewers (people you should be targeting) won't be searching for your channel name anyway right? It's much more important to target keywords that will bring NEW viewers into your channel. That is how you will grow.

Example process to grow a gaming channel:

1) Identify something that is difficult or confusing to noobies in a particular game you play. Let's say players need to build a wooden bridge in Minecraft in order to win a bonus. (obv just an example) If you could get to number one for "How to build the wooden bridge in Minecraft", then your channel would grow 10x faster than if you were number one for "Cryptic gaming"

Also - I noticed your videos are very very long (many over an hour!) As a small channel, trying to grow, I'd strongly advise you keep videos short ( less than 10 minutes) and make them on specific, laser-focused topics like my example above and then get traffic to them using good SEO (Longtail keyphrase in the tags, title and description) and make sure the video gets straight to the point with no fluff.

Good luck. :)
Okay thank you I will bear that in mine!

ArsenalGamer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thank to both of you I will bear that in mine!

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other

that is a very interesting point to chew on my YouTube user name is one of my highest ranking traffic sorces for youtube serch but the point that you bring up about people who are searching for you via your user name are only doing so because they have previously watched your content is certainly a very valid point. and if they are searching for you specifically it shouldn't matter if your the first result or the 3rd result. as long as your on the first page.

I also remember that when I started if you typed my youtube user name I was not the first thing that came up on the results and there is no other youtuber's with my user name but I just checked it now and my channel and video's are now the first 7 results. and iv got 11 out of the first 15 results so as your channel grows you will probably move up that list as well

Last edited: