A Way To Discover New Series Ideas!

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
This forum is a whole lot of "what do you think I should do" requests. And when it comes right down to it, whether you want to believe it or not, nobody is going to give you good ideas.

Why is that you ask? Well, if you had a bunch of unique show ideas, would you give them to other people or do them yourself? The answer is clear.

So, I would like to present a tried and true method of discovering new show ideas and more importantly, adapting them to YouTube.

My case study is a show that I currently run called Feature Creep. About a year ago I had just started YouTube, running basic indie game reviews. I did indie games because I could get the indie bundles for cheap and it got me a bunch of content to use. But I wanted a new unique show, I just couldn't think of anything much like many of you here.

That was until I was listening to the radio one day. I live in Edmonton and on our local station The Bear, one of the morning show hosts was doing a spot called My Big Yap. He would open up on a topic for between 1 and 3 minutes, sometimes quite rant worthy, but other times just very clever. I thought, that would be a neat idea to modify to suit YouTube. So I created Feature Creep (named after a game industry term, look it up), a 3 minute or less rapidfire rant/commentary on game industry news. I took the basic format from the radio show, of course adding on topic video content, my intro and an outtro screen with the usual like/subscribe stuff. And to this day, I've still not seen anyone that runs a news/commentary spot that is as consistently short as mine, which does give it an angle of uniqueness.

So my suggestion, my tried and true method is actually an innovation rather than invention method of finding shows. Turn on the TV, watch the news, see how they structure their various segments. Listen to the radio, ponder whether different show elements would be something you could adapt to YouTube.

Now, I do gaming videos but you can see how this style of content experimentation could apply to any type of video. The real trick is in taking the concept and adjusting to make it your own. You don't have to speak or organize it exactly like it was on the radio or TV.

I have several other shows "waiting in the wings" as it were, but I'm not sharing them for the same reason very few people will give you truely unique ideas right out of the box even on a forum like this. If you're good at something, never do it for free because you devalue yourself. :)

Those in media creation often call this inspiration.

Chef Kendra

Chef and Video Creator
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
"Well, if you had a bunch of unique show ideas, would you give them to other people or do them yourself?"

Yeah I would, especially if they weren't in my niche. Also if it could let to a nice collaboration. :)